LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

mommycanrun
|
I think I understand why the answer is E, but I want to make sure. I don't think I realized when I read through this passage on the test that the author was debunking Dworkin's critique of Hart's theory.

Now, I see the structure of the passage is something like this: paragraph 1-introduction of the idea of hard cases and defining legally determinate. Paragraph 2-Explaining Hart's theory and illustrating an example of a legally indeterminate scenario. Paragraph 3-Present Dworkin's critique of Hart's theory. Paragraph 4-Explains why Dworkin is wrong to dispute Hart's theory.

E is the answer because the whole point of the author's passage is to defend Hart's theory.

Am I close?
 evelineliu
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi there,

(E) essentially summarizes lines 46-47. Paragraph 4 is where there passage's individual discussions of Hart and Dworkin is heading, and lines 46-47 capture this paragraph. These lines are the most important ones in the paragraph and can stand acceptably as the author's purpose.

Best,
Eveline
 Noodles93
|
Thanks for the explanation. I think my brain interpreted "primarily concerned" as another way to say "main point." :oops: But main point is different than the author's mission/concern in the passage. Is that right? So E is correct because it's summarizing the author's mission even though it references only a small portion of the passage.
 Dana D
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Noodles,

You are correct in reading 'primarily concerned' with as 'main point'. We want to answer the question - what is the author trying to get at here? What do they want my main takeaway as the reader to be? This could also be thought of as the author's conclusion or argument - it may be summarized as only a small part of the text, but if we look at the big picture, a lot of the information the author included was to serve as a premise for this one big takeaway idea: that Dworkin's concept is not a successful attack on Hart's theory.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.