LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

April30Gang
|
Hello Powerscore,

Someone kindly help me with my line of reasoning; though I had it correct.

We have advertisers offering free computers to consumers. They are able to do this because the information of these consumers help these advertisers in personalizing marketing to meet specific needs. This targeted advertising brings in sales; hence the "free computers."

a. Any time I see the phrase "at least some" on the LSAT, my eyes light up. It's a safe phrasing such that when it contains the right information, it's likely the answer. What makes this the best answer is that it tells us that there are some consumers who are spending just a little bit more because of these computers. This is supported because these advertisers are reporting an increase in sales which reflects the buying habit of the consumers.

b. I'm told about one advertiser. I do not know the capabilities of other advertisers. I run far from absolute phrasing in mss questions. It's almost always wrong. "All," "None," no. For a test that relies heavily on utilizing the information you're provided with and strongly supporting phrases, these choices are a red flag.

c. This was a tough sell for me. If they weren't using these computers, other factors may have played a role.

d. I came close to choosing this answer. The computers are free because the targeted advertisements bring in sales, NOT because they are on rotation 24/7. For all you know the advertisements that play on weekends is what is bringing in all the money.

e. This choice made no sense lol
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Good work, April.

We can prephrase here a bit (and I hope that you did) by thinking about what the stimulus tells us about the free computers. Why can the advertisers afford to offer the computers free of charge? They must be getting an offsetting amount of money (or more) from the purchases related to these computers. We are looking for an answer choice that describes that relationship. That's what answer choice (A) fairly clearly explains. Some consumers must be spending more than they would have on these advertisers in order to make the free computers a profitable venture for the advertisers.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.