LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
It's the fact that we cannot find ANY support for answer D that removes it from contention, mkarimi73. There is no evidence in the passage that anything she did with lacquer was not intended for public viewing. For all we know, almost everything she did was put on display in an art gallery somewhere! Even the wall panel we know something about is in the lobby of an apartment, which sounds like a pretty public display. We reject answer D not because we have evidence that it is false, but because we no evidence that it is true.
 morri3mg
|
I chose 'B', as the entirety of the third paragraph goes into detail about the panels and furniture that she made. While I wouldn't imagine that "constructed" would be interpreted as "made from scratch," is there any other reason why 'B' is wrong?
 Luke Haqq
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi morri3mg!

The "personally constructed" and "most" language in (B) seems problematic. (B) states that "Gray personally constructed most of the interior furnishings that she designed."

When reading this passage, I certainly assumed that Gray was making the art being discussed. However, I was less of this view when the passage turned to talk about Gray as an architect. Indeed, it says at the outset that the eventually designed homes (lines 3-4). Architects don't generally personally construct every aspect of what they design. Since the passage talked about Gray's interests shifting "from smaller objects to the very large" (lines 5-7), it also seemed possible that she may work with others especially on the very large projects.

This seems possible, and there's nothing in the stimulus that directly states that she "personally constructed most" of the interior furnishings she designed. Since this is a must be true question, it's therefore especially noticeable that the stimulus doesn't foreclose the possibility that others helped her construct some and perhaps many of her works. We don't know either way, which is why we can eliminate (B).
 izzy_tingles
|
Hello, can I get a further explanation of where in the text "ornamental" is used to describe Gray's later work? Some posts have slightly touched on this but not fully. In this context, is "ornamental" expected to mean "relating to an ornament" or "decorative, ornate?" If it is meant to mean the latter, I don't know where to find textual support for this. Thank you!
 Luke Haqq
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi izzy_tingles!

For starters, we're told in the first paragraph that her works include ornaments and other things like furniture (line 4).

For an indication of what constitutes her later work, a good place to look is starting around line 25. That portion of the passage discusses her early work and then what she did later. It suggests that an example of her later work includes "a screen she made for the lobby of an apartment" (line 28), which the author goes on to note "becomes a painting, a piece of furniture, and an architectural element all at once" (lines 33-34).

Answer choice (E) states that "Much of Gray’s later work was functional as well as ornamental." I would think of ornate in the sense of decorative, but perhaps more importantly, in this answer choice it seems to be contrasted with being functional. So something that is ornamental seems to be created not for the purpose of functionality. The mentioned example of her later work seemed both to be functional--inasmuch as it was a piece of furniture, and also ornamental--inasmuch as it was a painting.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.