LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

ddddd8888899999
|
I have a question about weighing the strenght of C vs D. I was able to choose D but with great hesitation. I the phrasing "almost impossible," doesn't it imply that combat is still technically possible, and therefore "SOMETIMES engaging in combat" would be in accordance with that?

Is the reason D is correct, or more correct, because this is a "most strongly supports" MUST BE TRUE question, and therefore D is better than C without C being completely false/bad?

Though "almost impossible" seems to limit the probability of combat, it is at least stated, whereas the combat option does not have an extra clause indicated the possibility. So with a MBT, where we need all the info in the stimulus, I was wondering whether that could be a reason to go for C.

Thanks for your help!
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
ddddd8888899999,

There's still some distance between "possibly" and "some". It's possible for me to win the lottery. That doesn't mean that some of the lottery tickets I've bought have been winners. So while it's possible that the tooth marks could be inflicted on the skeleton of a live animal, that does nothing to show that this possibility ever manifested itself in actual intraspecies combat. Ultimately, "some" is a stronger statement than "possibly" - anything that has happened at least sometimes is possible, but plenty of possible things never happen. So answer choice (D) is stronger than the stimulus, which is a fatal problem for a Must Be True answer choice.

I'm a little confused here because that's a proof that answer choice (D) is wrong, which it is, but your post seems to be indicating that you think answer choice (D) is correct. For full clarity, answer choice (C) is the correct answer for this question.

I don't understand your last paragraph, where you contrast combat with combat. Can you clarify?

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.