LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

jlaico
|
Could someone explain why E is wrong? I was between D and E, and I see why D is a good choice, but to me, the last two sentences would make more sense if they were switched: they would then read as: "Our manufacturers will no longer be able to rely on a domestic supply of iron ore. The end result will be that foreigners will control most of the iron mining here, leaving our manufacturers at their mercy." I think this phrasing makes more sense, which is why I chose E.
Is part of the reason E is wrong that it's not attacking the conclusion as well as D?
Thanks for your help.
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi jlaico,

I don't think the last two sentences would even make sense as a switched relationship, let alone as a relationship that is required to be switched.

The relationship in the stimulus is that BECAUSE foreigners will control domestic mining, domestic manufacturers will be at their mercy and will not be able to rely on a supply of iron.

Answer choice (E) is describing a situation where the cause and the effect are reversed. It would mean that the lack of reliable iron for the manufacturers caused the manufacturers to be at the mercy of the foreign companies. That's a causal relationship that does not make sense, let alone a causal arrow that would be required.

Hope that helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.