LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

HarmonRabb
|
Hi,
I want to verify I'm decoding the stems right for justify vs assumption questions because the sample question on pg 372 of the 2024 LR book made me a bit uncertain.

Tthe assumption sample question's stem states:
Code: Select all
"Which ones of the following is an assumption that the art historian's argument requires in order for its conclusion to be properly drawn" 
I thought the reference to properly drawn conclusions is for justify questions.

Is the presence of the word "required" an indicator its an assumption question as we're looking for a necessary term?
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Exactly Harmon! If it is asking what is required, that's going to be an assumption question. It's a lot like when we look at a phrase like "only if." "If" is a sufficient indicator, but "only if" is a necessary indicator. "Allows it to be properly drawn" looks like a justify question, but "required to be properly drawn" is an assumption question. At the core, a justify question asks you to find what is sufficient for the conclusion, and an assumption question asks you to find what is necessary for the conclusion. That language of necessity in the stem is decisive here.

Good work parsing that question stem!
 HarmonRabb
|
Awesome. Thanks so much for confirming.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.