LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Jeff Wren
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi npant120,

The argument in the stimulus is basically saying, "if pollen from a drug-producing crop were to drift into nearby field with an ordinary food crop, there is a risk of the drugs entering our food supply."

Answer B is basically saying, "if we can prevent pollen from drifting, then there is no risk of the drugs entering our food supply." This doesn't weaken the original argument because the argument has already taken that into account. In other words, the consumer advocate would respond to Answer B by saying "Yes, that's my point! If we can prevent it from drifting, then great! But what if we can't prevent it from drifting?" For B to weaken the original argument, it would need to be established that pollen can be 100% prevented from drifting. If that were established, then the risk of drifting would be eliminated.

To give you a parallel case, imagine I say, "If we don't stop using fossil fuels, global warming will continue." And you reply, "But if we do stop using fossil fuels, then global warming will stop." That reply doesn't weaken my claim, it is consistent with my claim.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.