LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 moshei24
|
Oh, I agree that there are flaws in the causal argument, but I've seen that most of the time the last few questions are harder than the ones early on. Granted, they aren't the most difficult, but they are harder. And having easier questions under more time pressure is easier than having hard ones. Again, it wasn't my idea, it was my instructor, so I'm assuming there is basis behind it.
 moshei24
|
Hey,

I ended up getting a 160 on this practice test.

What I saw from this test is that I really need to work on my speed in Reading Comp. In the first Reading section, I had gotten 4 wrong through the first 3 passages, even with rushing a little bit in the third to get to the fourth, but by the time I got to the fourth, I had about 6 mins left, I think, so I couldn't read the passage properly (even without underlining), if at all, ended up guessing on those questions, or trying to reason through the questions quickly, and ended up getting all of the 7 questions in the last section wrong.

The first logical reasoning section that I did I got 3 wrong. I had time to finish and check the ones I wasn't sure about. The three I got wrong were not the ones I checked over. I understand why I got each one wrong.

The next section was from a different LSAT, and was reading comp. At that point, I had lost focus, stopped underlining the passages, didn't really have any focus, and for the last two sections couldn't even read it properly, and got 14 wrong.

I took a 15 break where I went to get food and a 12 oz red bull. Didn't end up getting food, but got the red bull, which I think was a mistake. I still felt tired and burned out. I took the test in the library, and there were constant distractions that wouldn't occur at a test center; people were talking, making noise, shuffling around, machines were making noise, etc. It was just a bad choice of place to take the test.

For the second logical reasoning, I had lost focus and was distracted early on, so I got behind time wise, had to rush in the middle and toward the end, and ended up getting eight wrong. I used the technique where I do the first three then go from the end. It helps because the hardest questions are usually from 15-19, so I should get up to those with more time than I would with the regular technique. I just got stuck early on from the end, because I lost focused and was distracted.

In logic games, five mins into the first game I had realized that I completely diagrammed the opposite of how they should have, and had to re-diagram them quickly. Those five mins put me behind early on, and it hurt me when I got to the end. The second game was relatively simple, but the third was difficult, so I skipped it and did the last one, which wasn't too simple either. Ended up guessing on some of the fourth and most of the third game questions, and even one from the first that I skipped because of time constraints early on. I happened to get lucky in this section unlike the reading comp first section, and got most of my guesses or educated guesses right, as I scored 18/22. I think my issue with the games was that those first five mins of which my work meant very little got me behind, and the fact that I've only done one game, literally one game, not a sections, just one game since May 3rd, so I'm rusty on games. I need to start doing those more often to keep myself more focused on games.

Questions by section:
1st reading comp: 17/28
Old LSAT (experimental) reading comp: 13/27
1st LR: 22/25
2nd LR: 18/26
LG: 18/22

Order:
RC, 1st LR, Old RC, 2nd LR, LG.

How would you suggest going about improving my speed in RC? And what would be my best bet to improve my focus in the later sections? I know that a lot of it was due to the frustrating distractions that got worse midway into the test, but in general, what's the best way to increase focus? What other advice would you be able to give on where I should move forward from here in terms of studying, practice tests, etc.? When and where do you think I should take my next test? At home where it's pretty quiet?

My goal score is a 170-175, basically 173-174, if not higher. I know that with my last three tests being 163, 161, and 160, I'm far off, but I also know that I have a lot more studying to do and a lot of my main issues that's keeping my score down are things that can be worked on and, hopefully, eliminated.

My LSAT is on October 9th. What would be my best plan of attack?

(Sorry for the billion questions.)

Thank you so much!

Best,
Moshe
 moshei24
|
And by the way, after taking the test I felt that my score was somewhere in the mid to high 150s, so I under-predicted a little bit.
 moshei24
|
Also, where can I find a detailed explanation of each question in all the practice tests? Does Powerscore have that on the site?
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Moshe,

Thanks for the info on the test. I'm going to let my colleagues address some of your more specific comments and questions in there, but let me chime in that drinking a Red Bull during the exam (or taking any extra stimulant) is usually a bad idea (the exception being when you are a person who constantly drinks energy drinks/caffeine and would be subject to a crash if you went several hours without getting one). Normally what happens is that the extra energy,a long with your natural tension energy form the test, combine to make it hard to concentrate.

As for explanations, there are a variety of tools we use in the courses for answering questions, with the online explanations being the main source. For anything not covered in there, there are more resources too, including the LSAT Hotline, your in-class instructor, and this forum (where we've actually been fortunate to answer a large number of questions over time).

I hope that helps. Thanks!
 moshei24
|
Okay, thanks. Can you please make sure your colleagues chime in on my other questions?

And yeah, I realized that about the red bull. It really made me lose focus, and the fact that I already take Vyvanse for ADHD, made it worse. I did some quick research, and any caffeine combined with Vyvanse cause over stimulation, so that could explain why I lost focus for the second half of the test. Even the logic games section seemed harder than it should have. While looking over the games I found difficult afterward, I realized how simple they were, and I was setting them up AND doing them in my head. I realized that the one I thought was really hard was just a simple four-template game, and the other one I missed really simple inferences.

Thanks for the advice! I hope to hear advice on the other stuff from whoever else is around soon!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
They will, of course :-D

It's going to be a bit though as Monday is traditionally quite busy here, and we're in the midst of peak LSAT season.

Thanks for your patience!
 Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Alright, figure I'll chime in here as well. Admittedly haven't read EVERY post in this thread, but moshei the questions I saw from your post a few up were as follows:

"How would you suggest going about improving my speed in RC? And what would be my best bet to improve my focus in the later sections? I know that a lot of it was due to the frustrating distractions that got worse midway into the test, but in general, what's the best way to increase focus? What other advice would you be able to give on where I should move forward from here in terms of studying, practice tests, etc.? When and where do you think I should take my next test? At home where it's pretty quiet?"

I'll try to briefly weigh in on each. And I'll do so candidly, so prepare yourself for that :-D

First off, environment can have a lot to do with focus, so taking it in a busy, bustling place can be a challenge. See if you can find a public place that's maybe a little less distracting for now, and potentially work up to the point where you could take it in a subway station at rush hour without issue.

That said, if you want to score well on this test, you've got to stop asking questions you know the answer to, because that amounts to an excuse to underperform. There are elements of the LSAT that assistance is invaluable for--conceptual explanations and personalized test-day strategies--and there are elements that only you can control. You know which one this is. This is the latter. Focus, attitude, positivity, confidence...these aren't taught. They're on you. So it's up to you, and you alone, to decide what kind of test taker you want to be. Can you do it? I think so based on what you've said so far.

Can you imagine someone looking to become a serious athlete asking "How do I run fast/far??" Me neither, because anyone serious about that type of goal already knows the answer: you work your ass off. You practice. Often. With intensity. You push yourself and with dedication and time you find that you get better and better (faster and stronger, more and more focused for longer periods of time). When you feel your focus start to slip realize it, pause for a second, and dig back in. And when it truly gets to be too much walk away, and come back fresh the next time ready to go harder. Some people are more naturally "gifted" when it comes to this, but there are still no shortcuts: if you want to be a more mentally-fit test taker you have to take control of your mind and train it to do what is needed. It's not going to be easy, and it's not going to happen overnight, but it will happen if you're willing to do the work. You want to score at the highest levels? You've got to start believing that you can do it, and acting like you're the king.

I know that may come off a bit harsh. But it's nowhere near as harsh as failing your potential. And it's certainly nowhere near as harsh as law school. You want a 160? Cool, no worries, just stay relaxed and do your best and study when you can and try to do the homework and you'll be alright bro :-D . You want a 175? Prepare for battle.

So this isn't just one long drill sergeant rant (which I am FAR from, believe me, but I sense it will help here :) ), for RC I'd focus on reading passages in under three minutes. If you're taking longer than that you're reading too slowly and focusing too much on the details of the passage (and probably notating/diagramming too much as well). Push yourself to get through it with an understanding of main point, tone, overall structure, and key ideas in 2.5 minutes. Almost all of the high scorers I know consistently break this barrier when reading RC passages.

In fact, that's where I'd start. Take an RC section, at home for now if you like, time yourself (as you read each passage, and as you answer questions), and monitor your mental state from start to finish. If you're ever less than 100% focused and dialed in, catch it, pause for a second, take a breath, and FIX IT. Then do it again. Then do LR. Then Games. Then two in a row. Then three. Then a whole test. But don't move to do more until you're a laser beam on whatever came before it. One section perfect focus? Try two. And then again. And again. Two with perfect, consistent concentration? Now three. Again. Again. Again. Make sense?

When you're in a groove taking sections back to back, get out in the world and try it. Get comfortable there and test day's a breeze. For now just start small and remember that you either want this bad enough to earn it, or you don't. So take control. Good luck and stay focused!

JD
 moshei24
|
Thank you. There is a definitely a lot of good info there for me to take in and learn from.

In terms of getting my passages reading time to under 2.5 mins, I should just time myself reading through and notating a passage, and then see how long it took and then doing the questions?

Also, I was doing some research, and each of the first three LSAT's that I took, I took while drink a coke at the same time, and then the third having a red bull halfway through. Caffeine is supposedly a bad idea during the test, and I think that's been a major mistake for me in terms of test taking in general.

You say that I should take the test one section at a time, constantly adding onto that as I improve my focus. I know that you're the pro on this, but I would have to disagree with that. Wouldn't it be better to just take full tests, and push myself each time, and get used to taking it that way?

Another thing, I'm still finishing up going through all the lessons again, and improving my conceptual understanding of all the topics (especially in LR) to the point where I can recognize any question and know how to attack it. I need to put more focus into RC, which I haven't been doing, and I think it would be beneficial for me to go over the drills in Lesson 2, and I think the other main Lesson with good drills is 6, to help myself with the notating. I've never been a note taker at any point in school, or a big reader, so I need to go all out with that now.

Another point you made that I really need to absorb, and is one that I've been hearing from a lot of people and reading all over the place, is that I need to buckle down and really just put everything into the test. That's what I need to do the most, as I've always been one of those lazy last second successful crammers throughout school. This isn't a test where that works, and I need to be my own drill sergeant.

But yeah, I understand that gist, and I really need to just force myself to give it my all.

Thanks a lot!

-Moshe
 moshei24
|
Also, will learning how to notate quicker, improve my speeds of reading passages from 4.5-5 mins to 2.5-3 mins??

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.