LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 ellenb
|
Dear Dave,

Just as a follow-up to your suggestion. Is there a reason why you picked 10 questions at a time? Also, please let me know if you have any other advice for the logical reasoning homework.

Thanks

Ellen
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Ellen,

That's a good question :-D

10 questions is a number I chose for several reasons:
  • It is enough questions to push you a little bit in terms of length/fatigue, but not so much as to be too many to do at one time (assuming you don't have unlimited hours).

It allows for easy timing increments (roughly 15 minutes for the 10 questions).

Because the average LR section is 25 questions in length, doing 10 at a time is a nice even sub-component of the overall total.
As for further advice, is there something in particular you are looking for? If you let me know, I'll try to address that. Thanks!
 ellenb
|
Thanks Dave, as a follow-up to my follow-up question. :)

So, what would you suggest on how to deal with LR fatigue?
Thanks

Ellen
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Ellen,

Interesting question- when you say LR fatigue are you saying that after a certain amount of time and energy spent, your LR skills begin to suffer? If so, at what point do you start to see a shift? Does it vary? How does it compare with your performance/endurance in other sections?

Thanks!

-Steve
 moshei24
|
In my opinion, I don't think it's specifically "LR fatigue." I'd say that it's probably just mental fatigue, in general. LR is the most mentally taxing section, so that's probably why you see it most often there. I'd say start doing more mentally taxing things in your day-to-day activities. I'd also say to take a couple of days off from studying the LSAT when you feel like your mind is about to explode, but go as far you can go before you take the break. The mind is a muscle, and you want to treat it like one. Go a little past your limit and then take a break to let it recharge. Same with LR. Add more and more questions each time until your mind can do a full section at a time.

I know Dave said to do 10 questions in 15 mins, which is actually giving you a little extra time per questions than you'd normally have, but I'd suggest working down those 15 mins until you can do 10 questions in 10 minutes. You on average have about 1:24-1:26 per question, but that's going to vary as the question difficulties vary. Try to speed up, because then when you have more time to spend on each question, they'll seem easier. It's like using a heavier bat in baseball to practice when on deck. When you're at the plate with a lighter bat, it feels even more lighter.

Don't forget to take breaks, and make sure you don't burnout too much! :)

Let me know if you have any additional questions.
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Steve Stein wrote:Hi Ellen,

Interesting question- when you say LR fatigue are you saying that after a certain amount of time and energy spent, your LR skills begin to suffer? If so, at what point do you start to see a shift? Does it vary? How does it compare with your performance/endurance in other sections?

Thanks!

-Steve

Thanks! I'm interested in hearing more about Ellen's question- Ellen, tell me more about your experience in LR- it sounds like you have some specific challenges in that section? Let me know- thanks!

-Steve
 ellenb
|
Dear Steve,

I honestly do not know why it gives me so much trouble, I think it is because it is so unpredictable, where in logical games there is at least a pattern or a system that we follow. I feel like in LR is very open-ended and I am not sure as to what to expect and sometimes I am tempted to read the question first even though I know I am not supposed to do it.

Also, I am not quite sure whether I should push myself into timing or getting the questions right with plenty of time. In addition, one of the students above mentioned that it is a good idea to push myself and then take a break, will this improve my score?

And my last question, should we do all the question in logical reasoning section and by what lesson should we start testing ourselves?

Hope I did not pose too many questions, however, there is a follow-up answer to your question.
I actually do not know why it takes me so long to complete even 10 questions? So, I need to push myself harder? Or is it an attitude thing? I get the logic behind the premises as far as the logical skeleton of the question goes, however sometimes it is a bit more difficult to see it when I do the questions.

I am just very curious as to what I can do to improve my LG section. Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Ellen (BTW sorry for the too many questions, I just want to really improve and i am not sure as to what is the best approach to it!)
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Ellen,

Thanks for your response--your specificity is very helpful.

First, I can understand why you say that LR feels open-ended--there are more question types, and topics, than you are likely to see in any game section. But I bet there are many times that you read the stimulus and it has a very familiar feel--a structure that you are already comfortable with--is this the case?

If there already are instances in which you can see right through a stimulus, I would suggest that you do those questions first. I think that the more liberally you skip through the test to the stimuli that you are most comfortable with, the better your performance and pacing will be.

If you are doing the questions mostly in order (which most people do), then it is understandable that you can tire yourself out with just ten questions--among ten questions there are likely to be at least 2 or 3 particularly challenging ones--those are the few that take all of the time and sap all of your energy and focus--skip those! save them for last--this is a great way to stay positive--that way you start with your best foot forward, and by the time you get to the tough ones, you have already gotten going with some easy ones.

I don't think its ever too early to begin taking practice sections and tests, and as for your question about whether to focus on pacing or accuracy, I would say do both! If you go in two rounds, you can get a lot more out of the practice: start by doing a practice section within the allotted time--you will be getting used to and developing the pacing and endurance that will be necessary for the real test.

When you are done with a timed section, you can go back through it off the clock--take as much time as you need to understand the questions and answer choices, and you will find yourself getting through subsequent questions--and sections--with greater comfort in less time.

Again, focus on skipping around to your favorite questions, and make sure that you are taking the right approach to each question you take on--understand the arguments' logical components, be sure to prephrase the answer when possible, followed a quick breakdown between contenders and losers.

It's great that you're so motivated--keep at it! Let me know whether all of this makes sense, and whether I've answered all of your questions, or if you have any others--thanks!

~Steve
 ellenb
|
Thanks Steve,

All your advice really helps, how about when we do LR hw problems and get fatigued after 10 of them?

Thanks

Ellen
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I'll chime in here with a few thoughts, if that's okay.

First, as with any activity, mental or physical, endurance can be improved with practice and repetition. It's early yet, so you are still developing the mental muscles needed to deal with LR questions. You also may not be used to that kind of physical effort - staying seated, focused, reading and writing for 15 minutes at a stretch. The more you practice, the better you will become at both the mental and the physical aspects of enduring this long, grueling test. It is a marathon, of sorts, and you are in training for it.

Second, as with physical exercise and training for any test of endurance, you need to take good care of yourself. Are you eating plenty of fruits and vegetables and cutting back on the bad stuff? Monitoring your caffeine intake? Getting some moderate exercise (which is good for both body and brain)? Look at any sort of outside factors that might be impacting your energy levels and focus. Are you taking sufficient breaks, for example, so as not to burn out and strain that mental muscle? Are you getting as much sleep as you typically need? Many students preparing for a test like this find themselves sleeping less, eating poorly, piling stress upon stress, and that's all counter-productive. You need to work hard, but also to prioritize.

I joke with my students that "this is a bad week to stop sniffing glue." If you know the movie Airplane, you'll know that reference, but whether you do or not, the lesson here is not to make drastic changes in your habits right now. If you are a smoker, for example, you should probably quit - but not in the three weeks leading up to the test. Do it now, or do it after the test, but you do NOT want to be suffering from nicotine withdrawal on the morning of the LSAT. Same thing with caffeine - if you always have a morning cup of coffee or a Coke at your desk, either quit now or keep it up until after the exam, but don't try quitting right before the test and then go in with the jitters. If you are not a regular caffeine user, don't start now thinking that it will help you get through all the hours of study and practice. If you aren't used to it, it will do more harm than good.

I don't know if any of this applies to you, but do keep in mind that you have a few months to go before the test, and you will see all kinds of improvement over that time if you practice and take good care of yourself. Your stamina, your speed, and your accuracy and efficiency will all pick up. Don't stress about it yet - you are just getting started!

Good luck!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.