LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 jared.xu
|
Would it be acceptable in the writing sample if we use abbreviations that are commonly understandable to save some time? For instance, could we write "b/c" instead of "because," "w/" instead of "with," or "gov't" instead of "government"? Also, are we allowed to use a pen for the writing sample. I am asking because I could write much faster and save valuable time using a pen as it flows much better. Thank you.
 Nicholas Bruno
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Jared,

It would be preferable to use the full word instead of the abbreviation in the writing sample. Although the writing sample is not graded, the law schools receive a copy of the writing sample and you want to give the law schools the best impression on the writing sample. Having a quality (professional) paper is more important than having a greater quantity of writing.

I hope this helps!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Jared,

I wouldn't advise using abbreviations. It will look a bit sloppy, and give off the impression that you didn't put 100% effort into the writing. This is especially the case in those instances where the reader does a quick glance at your essay. So, I'd strongly advise against it.

And, you are going to be writing your essay in pencil , so you might as well prepare for that. However, this has benefits, one being that you can erase any mistake that you make.

Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.