LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 snackyx
|
I will apply to law school in fall 2013, but since I have this summer free I am thinking about taking a course/studying for the LSAT and take the test this October. While I would like to take the live course, the one in my area does not work with my schedule. The virtual course seems like a good route, and I could take it this summer. My question: I would still like to have time to work on my test taking skills before I actually take the LSAT, and the Powerscore Bibles (logical reasoning and logic games) seem highly recommended. If I also opt so supplement the virtual course with study from these books, should I use the books first and then take the course, or learn the material in the course and then use the books as a supplement. I know there is alot of online material that supplements the virtual course--is using the "bibles" redundant? Would the additional online material provided with the course be sufficent to supplement the course? I know the courses are desgined to end right before the test dates--is it best to finish the actual course right before the test? Any thoughts how how to approach this would be appreciated.
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi snackyx,

Thanks for your post. Since you have the luxury of time (which most test-takers unfortunately don't), here's what your ideal plan might look like:

1. Take a Diagnostic Test as soon as possible, before any test prep. You need to become familiar with the test and establish a baseline against which to measure your progress. The June 2007 test is available for download from LSAC.org for free.

2. Get the Bible trilogy (LG, LR, and RC) ASAP and read all three books before your summer virtual course begins. That way you'll be ready to hit the ground running and not spend too much time trying to grasp the basic concepts and techniques. You'll also have more time for your homework and for practice tests.

Although there is indeed some overlap between the Bibles and the course materials, this is primarily due to the fact that we try to keep our approach consistent: we wouldn't want to confuse you by telling you one thing in the Logic Games bible, and a different thing in our classes :-) That said, the course books have significantly more problem sets than any of our publications, and each of the thousand or so problems in your homework will be explained on-line in our Student Center.

I don't see a reason why you would take the course, and then read the Bibles. After the course, I'd focus on taking as many practice tests as possible. Which brings me to my third point:

3. Take a Virtual Course that ends at least a week before the test date (maybe more, if you can find one that fits your schedule). Although some people do prefer to take a course that ends right before the exam, in my experience there is a significant benefit to having a few weeks between the completion of any course and the day of the test. Most people get too overwhelmed with their homework and can't take as many practice tests as possible while the course is running. If you have a few weeks in-between, you'll be able to take (and thoroughly review) at least 7-8 more practice tests, which can significantly raise your score.

If the practice tests reveal persistent performance issues on specific sections or question types, look into getting a few hours of tutoring (virtual or in-person). Although expensive, tutoring can be extremely helpful in fine-tuning your approach.

Let me know if you have any other questions that I can answer, and good luck!
 snackyx
|
Nikki,

Thanks for the prompt response.

Can I assume that taking a virtual course that ends in late August, then taking the LSAT in October, would not be too large of a "gap"? Is your recommendation for that 5 weeks between end of the virtual course and actual LSAT to take as many practice tests as possible? Do these practice tests come with the course, or are they available online in the Student Center, or elsewhere? Can I assume that the practice tests have explanations for each question to review after I take the test?
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Whether a 5-week gap is too long depends mostly on you. If you're already hitting your desired score range by the end of the course, then all you need to do is maintain that level of performance for another 5 weeks, which probably won't require much more than taking 1-2 practice tests/week. It is extremely difficult to predict the rate at which someone's score will improve, as this is a function of so many factors other than the course itself. This is why you should give yourself as much time as possible to take practice tests, which will both build your stamina and help you learn from your mistakes (assuming you thoroughly review each test).

I suppose the only downside to having 5 full weeks between the end of the course and the test day is the risk that you might start slacking off. But seeing that you are already planning your study regimen for September, I'd say that risk is minimal at best :-)

And yes, all the practice tests we make available to students are available either as downloads from the Student Center, or in a coursebook mailed to your home address. Although not all the tests come with explanations, all the homework questions do - which, of course, are taken from real practice tests. That said, the interactive functionality of the Virtual Course will allow you to ask the 2nd chair instructor any questions you might have from your homework or the practice tests. You will have also access to all Student Center resources until December 2012, and obviously have the option of using this forum to ask us additional questions during the course, as well as after its completion.

Let me know if this answers your questions :-)

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.