LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 nghiem505
|
I've been studying for the LSAT since march of 2011. I've read all three Powerscore Bibles, some even twice and gone through 2 to three work book for each section of the Exam. I am currently doing the practice test under actual timed condition and using actual old LSAT tests. The Highest score i've ever got was a 161. Instead maintaining some consistency in my score, however, my scores keep dropping and rising only slightly, but never again to 161. So it went from 161 then 159, then all the way to 148 at one point, then 156, 153, 155, 151, 156. After each test I would go back to check my answers, see what i did wrong, and actually understand where most of my blunders are, but when doing the practice test, under timed condition, I just feel like I'm unable to perform like how I wanted to. Logic game is my weakest section( I'm more confident at Global Questions vs Local questions), while RC is my strongest. I feel pretty frustrated as my goal was to maintain a consistent score of 163, give or take one or two points. I need some advice as to what i need to do to increase my score, what I'm doing wrong, and perhaps how to make my score consistent at least.
 Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
That's a good question, and one I think a lot of people can relate to. It's also one that may not have a perfect answer (especially considering how little I know about your testing habits and strengths/weaknesses), however I'll do my best to give you some general advice here.

When it comes to consistency, to me that's really all about time spent with the test, and practicing properly. The more you do LSAT-wise, the more you begin to recognize consistencies within the test itself, meaning you can respond to them in a more predictable fashion and produce more consistent results.

And by "proper practice" I mean that you really need to understand how to attack this test on a fundamental, conceptual level, and then be diligent in applying the appropriate strategies at the appropriate times. For instance, when you see causality in LR you need to know how to recognize it (and do so instantly), the central assumptions of LSAT causality, and how to describe it (Flaw or Method) and manipulate it (strengthen and weaken). Then you need to know exactly what type of question you're dealing with, and how to form an accurate prephrase of the correct answer. These things need to be second-nature.

So many people foolishly just take test after test without understanding WHY they performed the way that they did, and thus they're never able to fix their mistakes. In fact, it's actually worse than that: by repeating the same mistakes they make them that much harder to remedy. Reinforced bad habits, essentially.

So take a detailed look at your last few practice tests (or take another one under timed conditions if it's been a while) and break it down: which section(s) gave you the most trouble, which games got you (and what type), which question types, early or late in the section. Try to find something recognizable about your struggles, and then go back to the basics of those concepts, rediscover their inner workings (Bibles are a perfect resource for that), and then practice specifically with those weak points. If it's grouping games, re-read that chapter, do the drills, and find a bunch of grouping games and one by one work through them. Strive for accuracy first, and build your speed and confidence as you go.

I know that's all fairly generic, but time and a steady cycle of test-review-focused practice-test should get your score climbing back up again.

I'm sure others may have additional insights and extra things to add, but for now I hope that helps - good luck!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.