LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 powerkat
|
I'm taking the June test in a couple of weeks and have a couple of quick (possibly nitpicky) questions about what I can bring to the test.

Can we bring chapstick? I have a bad habit of having to reapply chapstick relatively often. I especially lick my lips a lot when I'm nervous. Could chapstick be considered a "medical or hygiene product"?

Can we wear hoodie sweatshirts? I know LSAC states "hats/hoods (except religious apparel) may not be worn on the head" - can I assume that this means I can wear a hoodie sweatshirt, just not wear the hood on my head?

Thanks! :)
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Let me start by saying that I don't know - I am a course instructor, and not an expert on the administration side of the test, so I hope someone else will chime in on this. That said, it seems clear to me that chapstick or lip balm is a hygiene item. I would say go ahead and bring it, and then when you get there, ask the people who are checking you in, well before it's time to start the test. Get two opinions, not just one, and try to get a proctor to be one of those that gives an opinion. If there is any doubt expressed, then go back and put it in your car, or toss it out.

As to the hoodie, the rule seems to be about what you wear on your head. I think it's a reasonable interpretation that you cannot put up the hood on your hoodie, but that you could wear it hanging down in back. But why wear a hoodie at all in that case? If you are forbidden to put up the hood, it won't do you much good (it might keep the area between your shoulder blades a little warmer if the room is cold, but not much). You should dress in layers, and while a sweatshirt or sweater will be allowed, a hoodie is just asking for some picky proctor to cry foul. If it has no value to you, and could cause a problem, I say leave it home.

Adam M. Tyson
PowerScore LSAT Instructor

p.s. I hope we're not relying on your "lucky hoodie" to get you through, are we? ;-)

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.