LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 gscelzo
|
Hello!

I just have four quick questions:

1) I just started the Virtual course last week since no Full-Length classes are available in my area. It "meets" on Thursdays and, since I finished all of the homework by Monday, I was planning on going through some of the Additional problem sets posted on the Online Center. Do you think it is better to isolate the question types the course has gone over so far, or should I try all questions indiscriminately? I ask because I would not want to waste practice questions or reinforce potentially bad problem-solving patterns. I am not so concerned about the LR section, but I know there are only so many Logic Games out there.

2) Does the Online Center feature detailed explanations for the Additional Problem sets as well? If so, where could I find them? Also, in one of the Virtual Modules Dave or Jon mentioned a book containing additional practice sections and tests. Does this only apply to the Full-Length course? Because the booklet I received includes four full-length practice tests, but no other sections.

3) At what point do you suggest starting to take full-length practice tests?

4) I happen to already own the Bibles. Should I try to read through them even though I am taking the Virtual course, or does the material mostly overlap? (Note: I do have a full-time job, so even though I am aware that every extra bit of studying helps, unless you think the extra reading would be truly beneficial I am not exactly looking for ways to occupy my time :) )

Thanks in advance for your help!

Giulia
 Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Giulia - thanks for the questions. I'll address them individually below:

1. Two things. First off, it seems likely you should slow down, especially as you work through the early lessons. There's a TREMENDOUS amount of information/homework for each lesson, so if you're finishing all of the book content in three days you're probably too quickly to understand everything perfectly. After each class session, I’d begin the post-class work by reviewing all of the lesson content and questions, reworking the questions you covered in class and completing the questions that were left for you to do as homework. Any concepts that are confusing or unclear can be reviewed in the lesson archive or the conceptual modules Dave and I recorded. Then move on to the actual homework questions and drills provided, and begin to slowly work through those, frequently checking your answers and making sure you understand for every question why answer choices are right and wrong. I’d imagine if you pace yourself and do a few hours a day that should take longer than three days, but however long it takes, err on the side of moving more slowly, as opposed to feeling a pressing need to complete it all with days to spare before the next lesson.

Secondly, once you’ve done all of that, focus your attention on continuing to reinforce the specific concepts/question types discussed (again, especially for the first half of the class). So don’t do questions indiscriminately. Be more particular in what you choose to work on, and try to gear it towards the recent class content you’ve covered.

2. You’ll find any additional explanations grouped together with the questions themselves, although I do know that not every single additional problem set will contain complete explanations. Those are really there as a final way for you to confirm that you’re completely solid for each question type, so if you find yourself lost as to why an answer is right or wrong (or totally stumped by a question), go back to the conceptual discussions and earlier questions of that type and review them again.

When we recorded that module we did have an extra book of practice tests that we sent to students, but it has since been completely ported over to the student center. We find this makes the content a little easier to access for people (on any computer, as opposed to lugging a heavy book around).

3. This one’s tough, as it depends on how comfortable you’re beginning to feel with the concepts of the first 4-5 lessons. But I’d say once you feel pretty solid with those ideas, and assuming you’ve got time you can dedicate to a timed test and thorough review, lesson 5-6 or so is generally a place where regular practice tests is acceptable. Your instructor will almost certainly discuss this when you reach that point in the course, as well.

4. I doubt you’ll have to worry too much with the Bibles, as most of what they contain is well-covered in the course itself (either in lesson text, discussion, or homework). Certainly they can be a good resource for further review or exploration if you find yourself still struggling with some idea even after going through all the relevant course materials, but, again, most students find that the course itself is largely sufficient. Ha and with a job to keep you busy it sounds like your time, at least for now, might be better spent with other resources.

I hope that helps!

Jon
 gscelzo
|
That definitely helps - thank you so much!

Giulia

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.