LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 donger
|
Hi,

First, I'd just like to thank you, prep teachers/instructors/experts, for all the advice you've given! I've been reading some of the answers you gave to some posts and they've definitely helped me.

My problem is that I think I might have hit a score block. In my last three LSAT practice tests I’ve hit personal records on individual sections. On one test, I got only three wrong in the RC section. On another, I got only two wrong in the LR section. On the other, I got 6 wrong on the LG section. However, the scores of each test were similar, in the range of 160-162. That’s why I’ve decided to take a break for a few days from practice tests to analyze my weaknesses further. Although disappointed, I tell myself this is an improvement for me, jumping 10 points since my first practice test. I hope to break/reach 170 by the time I finish 15 more practice tests. I plan to take the real test next year, June.

I’ve taken 9 practice tests so far, have read the LR Bible, LG Bible, and have done the workbooks for each bible. After every test, I review only the questions I got wrong and write down a broad principle I need to remember for the next time I take a test (for example, ‘rely on your instinct when stuck’ because the answer my instinct had initially pointed me to turned out to be the right answer). However, reading some of the posts on the forum, it seems I could take more time reviewing my tests. I have not taken a Powerscore course yet.

On average, roughly, I get:
22/27 on RC
18/25 on LR
16/24 on LG

My schedule for the next remaining month consists of continuously taking practice tests every day (except, recently, I broke that pattern deliberately). I committed the previous month to completing the workbooks and the bibles, plus a diagnostic before all of the prep.

I’m most worried about my LG and LR performance. My weaknesses in LR are mainly Weaken, Flaw in Reasoning, and Assumption questions. I’ve been making improvements with the questions but I could really use some help. I’ve re-read the relevant LR Bible chapters again to commit some of the principles/techniques to memory so that it becomes second-nature (e.g. personalize the argument, assumption negation technique), as Powerscore advised in one of the posts, but is there anything else I should do? I usually fall short of completing the LR section in time by 2-3 questions. I wish to increase my speed in reading the stimulus and the answer choices. There are a few times I need to read the stimulus a second time so I’ve made it a goal to try reading the stimulus only once.

In LG, I have trouble finishing the 4 games. I complete 3 games and one question from the fourth game until time is up. I spend around 2.5 minutes reading and diagramming the game and its rules and the rest in answering the questions. Speed seems to be the problem for me.

I’ve been upbeat about RC so far. Now, I complete all the questions in time and usually get 3 wrong. I’m aiming to get a perfect score on it soon.

This post is a bit long but I didn’t want to take and waste any more practice tests without an improved understanding of the test. Any critique/feedback would be greatly appreciated! Once again, thank you for this excellent forum resource!
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Donger,

Thanks for your post. It sounds like your approach so far has been nearly flawless: you have taken the time to understand the fundamentals and apply the methods to real practice tests, thoroughly reviewing each question.

Going forward, I would recommend against taking one practice test/day. Instead, break down some of the earlier tests you have (mid-1990's to mid-2000's) by question types and do each one individually. I realize it's a pain to do this (easier if you take a course, since we do the breakdown for you in creating the homework sections of each lesson), but it's crucial to solidify the concepts by solving a large number of questions in chunks that belong to the same question type. That way, you will start to see patterns in the construction of each argument and recognize the qualities exhibited in the correct answer choices (and, inversely, by the "decoy" answer choices). Also, I would not be content with merely reviewing the questions you got wrong: review all the questions in each practice test thoroughly in order to build up a “library” of questions that you are familiar with. This will help new questions fall more easily into identifiable groups.

The same can be said about logic games. It is crucial to understand how similar games of the same classification type can be. For example, rather than repeatedly doing game after game and reviewing only the questions you got wrong, study every game thoroughly until you start recognizing the more abstract patterns common to each game type. Then when you take the actual test you will again see some of those same patterns and be able to move more quickly.

Speed is a problem for everyone, but trying to "read" more quickly is usually not the answer. Once you see how predictable some of the games and arguments can be, the ability to recognize their pattern will help improve your speed. Paradoxically, sometimes you need to slow down a bit before you can speed up. One method you might find particularly helpful is trying to approach the material as if you're going to teach it to a class. Check out what Dave said in a related post:

"I know from personal experience that doing the games by themselves is one thing, but teaching them requires a whole new level of understanding. The true test of whether you really understand the concepts is to have to explain them to someone else. This angle forces you to consider the patterns present within the LSAT, and would better position you to attack problems effectively from the start. For me, even though I've done all the questions, when I have to teach them to a class I am required to look more deeply into the question. It's not sufficient to say that (B) is wrong; I have to know why, and then be able to connect that answer choice to other problems. So, if you think about the games in this fashion, it doesn’t really matter if you've seen them before; you will still be able to derive new insights—and in fact more insights—once you have seen them all, and you will be better positioned to connect everything on a more abstract level and perform more consistently."

Given that you're familiar with our method already, you might want to check out our Advanced Logic Games and Logical Reasoning courses. They are especially helpful to students who have improved significantly on the practice tests, but need to achieve a greater level of consistency in their performance.

Advanced Logic Games Course:
http://www.powerscore.com/lsat/advanced ... _index.cfm

A free preview can be obtained here:
http://www.powerscore.com/lsat/advanced ... ew_pop.htm

Advanced Logical Reasoning Course:
http://www.powerscore.com/lsat/advanced ... _index.cfm

I hope this gives you a general idea on how to move forward. Let me know if you have any other questions I can help answer.

Thanks,
 donger
|
Thank you Nikki for the feedback! I am going to apply the approach you recommended. I had a few questions about it though.

1. After breaking up questions into question types and grouping them, should I time myself or take my time with the questions? I see the benefits with the latter option in that I'll be able to think thoroughly about patterns and learn from them.

2.The only tests I currently have are from the time range you specified (mid 1900's - mid 2000's) and I have 15 of them. With the limited supply, should I dissect only one test into its question types and take a simulated practice test (and do this over again) or some other option?

3. If I'm planning to take the June LSAT, would it be more effective to take a course in the fall or next spring (closer to the test date)? Or does it matter?

Thank you for all the help so far.
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Let me briefly answer your questions:

1. You should NOT time these exercises. There is no reason to: you should time your practice sections and tests, not the exercises whose goal is to improve your substantive understanding of the test.

2. You should dissect at least 7-10 practice tests; if all you have is 15 practice tests from the mid 1990's to the mid 2000's, you really need to buy the rest unless you take a course (we provide our students with all the tests they need, including those from the last several years). Keep in mind that the tests from the last 5-6 years are probably the most valuable ones you'll have at your disposal, as they will approximate most closely the question composition on the actual test. The LSAT changes over time (if ever so slightly). I'd probably leave all the 2008 - 2012 tests for timed practice.

3. I think your target LSAT date is too far into the future. If you study efficiently for this test, you should not need a full year to reach maximum potential. I'd say plan for December 2012 at the latest. And if you take a course, the best option would be a course that leads up to the test day. Ideally, you want to have a week or so between the completion of the course and test day, but that's just a personal preference (I'd like to be able to take a few more practice tests after the completion of the course). Obviously, that advice doesn't apply to the Advanced virtual courses I suggested earlier; you should take those as soon as possible.

Hope this helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.