LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 RayMiller
|
It seems like I am having major difficulty making the necessary changes to increase my score when taking my tests. Since mid-June studying the highest score I earned was a 156. Since then my most recent tests have been between a 152-154. My goal is at least a 160, although I'd definitely like a higher score, with the October LSAT a li' more than a month away-I don't know if it's feasible. Here is a break down of how I perform on the tests (all tests from the 90s).

LR: First I notice that I always do poorer on the LR section that comes first on all the exams I complete. Are they usually more difficult? On the second LR I consistently attempt at least 21 and get 17 correct. The reason I'm having such a difficult problem is in most all the problems after I have graded my test I noticed that I narrowed down two contenders and then selected the incorrect one. Also, when returning to reattempt I consistently figure out the correct answer (without great trouble). So after I reanalyze I should have gotten at least an additional 10 correct on the LR#1 and maybe 1-2 on LR#2 (this is based on the questions I attempted). And I say that I should have gotten them right because I have virtually have no trouble answering the questions right after reattempting and I reattempt at least four hours after I have graded. Also there is no specific question type I am getting wrong except for Point @ Issue (which seems very strange to me) and the Parallel questions if there at the end. I think everything else is hit or miss, depending on the content and where they are in the gist of difficult/easy questions (I don't know just trying to make sense). I have completed the LR Bible and W/B, and I have the Question Type Training I and flash cards.

AG: I love the game section. I'm very close to completing three games. The last three tests I have taken I attempted three but completed two, because somehow I messed up by a careless mistake in the rules or misreading a question or mis-diagramming which prevented me from completing the third game. I posted a question in the AG section and was advised to recheck my diagrams/rules before I start answering questions. So I know what I need to do to increase my score in this section. But any additional advice is always welcomed. I've completed the AG Bible and WB, and I have the Question Type Training I and flash cards.

RC: I complete two sections with ease, but by the third I feel rushed. I consistently get at least 17 questions correct, but should get at least 21. I haven't really been focusing on this section as much because I feel like the better I increase my score in the LR section the more I'll improve at the RC section. My focus on this section is follow the VIEWSTAMPS…and do not OVER note take. I have the RC Bible and Question Type Training I.

After I score my exam, I always wait at least four hours and then reattempt only the answers that I attempted the first time. Based on this I should be scoring in the 162-165 range right now. But, I'm not. Then I do the following:
  • LR- label each question type. I then review all the questions I attempted whether they were originally correct or not. Finally I attempt the questions I didn't get to or skipped the first go round.

AG-Review the game I messed up on and complete the game I left out.

RC- review all questions and redo the third passage because I seem to consistently miss the most questions on this section. Then complete the remaining passage.
I have plenty of exams. Sorry for such a long post. Just simply didn't want to leave anything out and need help. Thx :-?
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi RayMiller,

You seem to have the right approach to taking and reviewing past practice tests, although one simple thing I'd recommend you do is "warm up" before taking a test. Your performance on the first LR section seems to be lagging, which is surprising considering there is no reason to suspect that this section is any more difficult than the second. And by "warm up," I simply mean do 5-6 LR questions, 1 Game, 1 RC passage (20-25 min max).

It seems that you've hit a plateau in the low-150's, which is usually a function of misapplication of the concepts and techniques in the LR and LG bibles. Sometimes the methods make sense "on paper," but when it comes to applying them over and over again to a wide variety of questions, students default to older, perhaps more "intuitive" - but also potentially more error-prone - methods of solution. The fact that you get stuck between two contenders and invariably choose the wrong one is a major red flag. The methods we discuss in our publications are solid and virtually guarantee that, provided you understand the stimulus and correctly approach the question with the right technique, you will be able to differentiate between the correct answer choice and even the most attractive "decoy" answer. The fact that you cannot do this consistently means you either misunderstand some of the nuances in our methods, or fail to apply them religiously.

One way you can rectify this problem is to observe how our techniques are deployed in a wide variety of contexts - from complex conditional stimuli to correlation/causation arguments, conflicting viewpoints, etc. The workbooks can help in that respect, but there are only so many questions that a single book (or workbook) can contain. You also can't see the process "in action," which makes it harder to duplicate the step-by-step approach involved: this is perhaps the inherent limitation of using text as an instructional medium.

Without pushing you to take a course with us, I'd suggest you find a way to observe how our methods are put into action, find someone to ask questions and get feedback from, and identify precisely what you need to work on to improve your score. If a full-length class is not available in your area (or is available, but has already begun), check out our 16-hour weekend courses or look into attending a live on-line class. In fact, there is one that begins on September 6. Details can be found here:

http://powerscore.com/lsat/virtual/content_virtual.cfm

Yes, it's a fast-paced, intensive option, meeting 3 times a week (with about 100 pages of homework per lesson). But if you have the time to complete all the homework, you should see a marked increase in your score. You can check out Lesson 1 (for free) here:

http://powerscore.com/lsat/course_preview_pop.htm

If you have any questions specific to any of the practice tests you've taken thus far, feel free to post them on the forum.

Thanks!
 RayMiller
|
Nikki!!!

Thank you so much for responding to my question.

All of your advice seems dead on and I know that you're right. Thank you, thank you, thank you

I never thought of a warm up, but that is definitely a good idea thanks.

I agree with your advice and know that taking a course is most likely the best option, especially considering October is well around the corner. I'm going to look into it and see. I know I have the time because right now I'm not working, but I just have to consider some other factors.

Again thank. I really appreciate the help and support.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.