LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 ncarson
|
Hi, well here is my situation! This time last year I began self studying with the Power Score Bibles. I covered all three of the bibles extensively and did many practice tests. I then felt fairly confident in the material and decided to take the Febuary 2012 LSAT in which I received a 149! I then felt it necessary to take a prep class in which I am currently enrolled in your Power Score full length course. We are half way through the course and I am still only averaging a 150 on the practice tests. The course is helpful and I feel that I understand the material, but when I attempt to implement the concepts to the tests I constantly see the same results. I do really well on the homeworks and the homework questions, averaging about 90% correct when it is a section focused on one subject or concept? But when I take a practice test, all the questions are so random that I have a difficult time implementing what I previously had found pretty easy? Time does not seem to be an issue for I am confident in the ability to finish each section. I have one month left of the course as well as one month before I re-take the LSAT! I am frustrated that I cannot seem to be able to get more than about 55% of the questions right on the actual tests!! Plese help!! Thank You!
 moshei24
|
I'm no pro, but it seems to me that when you know what type of question you're answering, you know how to approach it better, and therefore have a higher accuracy. In my opinion, you should work on being able to identify the type of question you're dealing with when you're working in sections that have multiple question types. This way, you'll know exactly how to approach each question when it comes up.

I hope that helps! Good luck!
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Thanks for your question! High accuracy on question type-specific exercises generally indicates mastery of the basic concepts, but obviously you need to do a lot more work in order to complete a LR section at the same accuracy level. People often get flustered when asked to do questions under timed conditions, and having to "switch gears" between different question types can often throw you off.

The homework from the last several lessons of the full-length LSAT course contains a number of "Marathon" sets (containing anywhere from 50 to 100 questions) that combine multiple question types and should ideally be done timed. Other than that, make sure you get into the habit of taking at least 2 practice tests/week. The goal is to start applying your conceptual knowledge to solving timed exercises, to the point where you don't even "think" about the concepts you learned in class: you should develop the intuitive ability to apply them as you see fit. This may take some practice, but you're on the right track!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.