LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 jennifera689
|
I've been studying for the LSAT seriously on-and-off since April of this year. I started with the full-length course. I took the June LSAT and didn't do well enough for the schools I want to get into. I've been studying as much as I can without getting too stressed for the past two months (working full time and studying has proven to be very difficult). On Saturday I took a practice test and got a 155, a score that I would be pleased with if I had received it on the actual LSAT. However, on Sunday I took another and got a 149. The drop in score is definitely concerning because I don't want another poor score on my record. And, for the record, I have improved my score a lot since I began studying (my first score was a 135).

My strongest area is the games- I've gotten every answer correct on some practice tests. Logical reasoning I fluctuate but I have the ability of doing pretty well. Reading comp is a toss-up; I'll usually complete 2 to 2.5 passages and my accuracy varies on the topics and how I approach them.

My "attack plan" for the next two days is to go over past tests and do some logical reasoning drills tonight once I get out of work and then tomorrow I have the day off and I'm just going to relax and "forget about the test" as the books suggest.

Am I utilizing my last study-evening properly? Any and all advice is appreciated! :)
 anb281990
|
Hi!

I am kind of in the same boat (I am partially relieved to see I am not the only one) and am also looking for some advice.

I just look what was supposed to be my last practice test before Saturday when I am scheduled to take the test. I had been averaging a 163, but when I just scored my test I found out I scored a 157... 6 points lower.

I am freaked out because the score I am aiming for is a 165 (which I have gotten before) and I am afraid that this drop indicates that it is unobtainable.

I too am unsure where to proceed with studying- I want to take another practice test tonight to see if this score was a fluke, but on the other hand I am afraid it will be counterintuituve and that my efforts would be better devoted to other areas (my original plan was to thoroughly review the test, re-watch the vm on the writing prompt, and review some flashcards I had prepared and then to take the day off tomorrow).

HELP :(
 anb281990
|
p.s. i dont know if this matters, but i am thinking maybe it's from exhaustion and nerves? would that be possible? I've just studied SO much and taken SO many practice tests :(
 jennifera689
|
From personal experience I know that at this point taking practice tests isn't the best idea (I did that last time and I think it definitely contributed to my poor score). I'm just reviewing old questions and doing some reasoning drills since that's my most inconsistent section.

Good luck to you! You got that 165 before so you can do it again (wish I could say the same for myself :ras: )
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
You guys are on to something. Taking a practice test at this point in the game, only two days before the test, is likely to do more harm than good. At best, it will reaffirm your expectation that you can get a good score, but it is unlikely that you will "learn" anything from that test (given the limited time remaining for review). The limited pedagogical utility of such an exercise will almost surely be outweighed by the risk of not doing so well. Indeed, if your score is lower than expected, this could undermine your confidence on the day of the test, starting a vicious cycle of hesitation and self-doubt that could hinder your performance on the real thing.

The best thing you can do today is thoroughly review all the practice tests you've done to this day. Indeed, a great exercise would be to re-print some of the pages containing questions (or games) you've struggled with over the past several months, and do them all over again. These are mistakes you can potentially make on the real test, so it is vital to address them one more time. Remember - this is a standardized exam! It's all happened before, and it will all happen again. Very little changes when it comes to the LSAT.

Other than that, nerves do play a role on the day of the test. This is not necessarily a bad thing, unless you spiral down into panic mode. In my experience, confidence is the best antidote: if you trust yourself to do well, chances are you will!

Good luck! :)

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.