LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 cookiegugleman
|
Hello,

I have been studying for a bit over a month using ExamKrackers books and real LSAT practice exams. I am scoring pretty well, but I am struggling with the Analytical Reasoning section. I have improved, but I can still only get through 3 of the 4 games (for a particularly difficult set, I may only get through 2...thumbs down). I liked the strategies presented by ExamKrackers and have used them consistently, but I would like to improve more. PowerScore seems to have a great reputation, so I bought the Logic Games Bible and the Workbook. However, I am confused as to how to proceed because I don't really want to change my notation strategies and confuse myself more. Should I just keep practicing, or would this Bible help? Do I even have enough time? I am taking the December LSAT. I know my questions are quite broad, but any advice/direction you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Best,
Alexis
 BethRibet
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Alexis,

Great questions. So I can say generally that yes as you've raised, switching between test-taking strategies (wherever you've learned them) close to taking the LSAT is a little risky, because there's the possibility that it will shake your confidence and that it may be hard to internalize or change habits quickly.

That disclaimer aside, one of the helpful things about the Logic Games Bible, and about Powerscore's approach to the games, is that it's not hard to learn our methods with a little time and practice -- it generally doesn't take people weeks to learn how to diagram the games, or how to draw inferences. Most of my students pick it up quickly, and like feeling like the games are more straightforward, and solving them less mysterious.
So in your shoes, what I would do is sit down with the games Bible or some of our curriculum, spend a few hours reading and practicing (I wouldn't give up if you're not adjusting immediately after an hour), and then see if the Powerscore approach is helping you gain speed without losing accuracy. If you're not making the shift quickly enough to feel good about being ready for the December exam, you can always evaluate that then. But if you're not able to reliably complete at least three games accurately, what strikes me as that the risk is small -- there's not that much to lose, because your current method just isn't working well enough for you.

Good luck!
Beth R.
 cookiegugleman
|
Thank you!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.