LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 bd622
|
I'm wondering if someone could weigh in on whether or not more recent LSATs are more difficult.

I am retaking the test in December (this week), but I am finding that my average score has increased during my studying this time around. I'm not sure if this is due to me being more relaxed about the test (definitely true), or perhaps the test is finally clicking for me (quite probable). However, because I'm scoring these higher scores on earlier preptests (around 46), I'm worried that it is because of the age of the test (I took all of the newer tests when studying my first time around). I took the last "newer" test I had left today and my score dropped, leading me to question my recent performances.

I'd love to go in thinking that I can get the score I've been practice testing, but I am a little psyched out that it may just be the age of the tests.

Any insight would be so helpful. Thanks!
Last edited by bd622 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
There is some truth to the claim that recent exams have slightly more difficult RC sections; that said, however, the overall level of difficulty has not increased to the point where it affects your performance. In fact, the curve on some of the recent tests is less generous than at times in the past (which might explain your lower-than-expected score). This means that although we have seen scales as generous as -31 for a 160, on today’s LSAT we are much more likely to see scales around -25 for a 160, with the most generous scale likely being -27 or -28.

Improved conceptual understanding, combined with a more relaxed, confident attitude toward the test in general, are sure to improve your score regardless of which test you take. That said, tests from the last five years undoubtedly have the highest predictive validity, if only because they are most likely to resemble the upcoming test.

One last thing: you shouldn't get psyched out by just one "lower" score. If, however, you discover a pattern where your scores on newer tests is consistently lower, you need to look at your results very carefully and figure out what type of question/games is giving you trouble. The test does change over time: for instance, we see a greater frequency of Flaw questions in the last couple of years than ever before; inversely, the number of Formal Logic questions has decreased. Just something to think about :-)

Good luck!
 r miller
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
superb response by nikki, hitting on several very helpful points.

i wanted to emphasize that the difficulty of specific questions or the test generally should not be a major issue, certainly nothing to obsess about. in fact, keeping in mind that the test is scored by percentile ranking, the more difficult questions there are, the greater your opportunity to distance yourself from the pack, hopefully in the positive direction, with our help and preparation. this is of course what the test writers strive for. test scoring is adjusted to take these things into account. this is why the scores on different tests taken in the same year can be legitimately compared.

keep in mind that, over time, the more successful we are in improving the scores of yourself and other students, the more effort will likely be put into correspondingly increasing the difficulty of the test, to compensate. it is the eternal battle between good and evil!!

too bad about the formal logic question frequency decreasing. these are great questions, almost like puzzles. and, whether they are on the test or not, when practising, it is wise to do as many of these as you can. they are very helpful for honing one's skill in quickly and deftly working with the art of manipulating any logical reasoning questions.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.