LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 elibeli2
|
Hey I took the February lsat, and I am sure I did not do what I was capable of doing.
What should I do, should I cancel my score, or should I just get my score and then retake the test.

Thanks
 Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey elibeli - thanks for the message, and sorry thing didn't go quite as well as you'd hoped. This is usually a tough question to give a perfect answer to, but I'll try to steer you in the right direction. My advice when someone asks if they should "cancel, or keep and retake" is almost always to cancel and keep working to improve for the next administration. I suppose the only real exception to that is if you feel you've nearly maxed out in terms of improvement and potential. So long as that's not the case, and it doesn't sound to me like it is for you, I'd almost certainly cancel this one, be grateful for the experience and exposure to actual test day conditions, and keep working to raise your score for a future administration when you feel more confident.

I hope that helps!

Jon
 elibeli2
|
Is that a better option then receiving your score and retaking it?
 Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Generally a cancellation is preferable to having a score on your record that you feel isn't representative of you (that is, a score that is much lower than what you feel you are capable of). So for students who have been in your situation previously, canceling was usually the smarter move in their opinion.
 Roxanne72
|
I think you should just keep the score. The benefit in that is this:

You now know exactly what you're up against so you'll be better prepared the next time around

and

The school's you apply to will be able to see the significant difference in how you scored the first time as opposed to the second time.

That's going to give you a leg up in exemplifying your dedication to law school. How you learn best is really going to make a difference in how you prepare for the test. Set yourself up to succeed.
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Let me take a moment to jump in and make a note about Roxanne's comment. I'm going to very gently disagree with her about the benefits of keeping a score your don't think will be good (sorry Roxanne!).

First, when you keep a low score, it's on your record for five years, so it doesn't go away any time soon. Second, every law school admissions officer will see that score--so that number will always be in their minds, even if you get a higher score next time. And that lower score could raise doubts. Third, once you have two or more scores, an average score appears. Schools don't use the average score like they used to (it used to be the number everyone uses, now schools mostly look at the higher score), but the fact remains: an average of all your scores will appear on your record for the next five years, and everyone will see it. Fourth, I've talked to numerous admissions officers about multiple score candidates, and never have I heard one express the idea that an initial low score will make a second high score look good. They all uniformly agree that a single, good score is the optimal admission approach because it means the committee doesn't have to think about anything else in regard to your LSAT score. Finally, if you know you didn't do well, then you already know what you are up against--you don't need an official score to prove that point.

The time to keep your score is when you know you did well, or you aren't sure you did badly. If you know for certain you didn't do well--as Eli knows here--typically the best advice is to cancel.

Thanks, and sorry to disagree with you Roxanne. No harm intended! :-D

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.