LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 clarawater
|
Sooo... I received my June 2011 score (165) and was not completely satisfied with it for several reasons:
1. It was 3 points lower than my practice tests' average (168) and 7 points lower than my highest practice test (172).
2. It is not in the score range of several schools I want to apply to.
3. I don't know if I would get significant merit money with it at other schools I'm considering.

So I guess my question is, what do you think is the best way to begin prepping again, and improve, for the October 2011 LSAT?
I already know the basics from taking the PowerScore Virtual Course, so would just doing more practice tests be the best choice? If so, how often do you think (or have seen from past students) is best?
Or, a different question would be, have you seen students re-take the test and significantly improve their score? And if so, how did they study?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated!!
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
First, it's great that you're going to retake the test. Even though 165 is surely a solid score, that 172 was probably not the result of lucky guesses. You clearly developed a strong foundation in the PowerScore virtual course--where did you feel like you ran into trouble on the test?
 Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Agreed, congratulations on a strong score. I know it's not exactly what you wanted, but a 165 is still a very admirable effort.

Let me answer your last questions first. Have people improved significantly? Absolutely. And while improving "significantly" from a 165 is a lot tougher than improving, say, 10 points from a 140, it can (and has) been done on many occasions. How the people who accomplished it prepared for subsequent administrations has a lot to do with the question that Steve asked: what are your specific strengths and weaknesses? Knowing those will not only allow you to prepare more efficiently moving forward, but they'll also likely tell you what prep avenue is best for you.

For instance, if you're clearly struggling with a single section--Games, perhaps--then taking a bunch of timed practice tests makes less sense than focusing more exclusively on that section (or a particular concept like Grouping games or Advanced Linear). On the other hand, if you struggle with something more universal, like test anxiety or fatigue, or if you feel you could improve in every section, then a focus more towards timed tests makes more sense.
 clarawater
|
Thanks so much, Steve and John.

I have not completely gone over the test yet, but most of my errors were in Reading Comp (6 wrong) and Logical (10 wrong combined). Games was only 1 wrong.

So I am thinking that working on RC and LR specifically would be best, though I am worried about "losing my edge" in Games. Also, I haven't looked at any LSAT materials in three weeks (since the test).

Do you have any tips for making sure to maintain the current level of performance, while still focusing on those major weaknesses?
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I think timed practice tests are a good idea, allowing you to maintain your edge in games (nice work!), get practice in the other sections, and focus on the areas that give you the most trouble. Keep at it, but avoid burnout by limiting some of your sessions to just a section or two.

Also, be sure to take advantage of the fact that this is a paper based test--when you see a particularly difficult logical reasoning question, for example, skip it and move on to the next, and likely easier, question (based on your scores I presume there are many questions that you can see right through).

On the same note, in the Reading Comprehension section, I would strongly suggest that you take the first minute or two to consider your options (statistically speaking, there is only a one in four chance that the first passage presented will be the most interesting, or the easiest,etc.). Keep in mind that you're the one in control, and you'll see the test become increasingly predictable.
 clarawater
|
That all sounds like good advice. I'll be going over the test thoroughly soon and making a study plan. Thanks again for all of your help!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.