LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 dmanashirova
|
Hey,

My name is Dayana and I'm new to this forum. I just took a diagnostic LSAT and I scored a 146. On the Arguments sections I got a 10/25 and 13/25, on the Games section I got an 11/23, and on the Reading Comp I got a 19/27. I am wondering how good/bad these scores are since this is my first time taking the LSAT. In addition, what should I start studying first and what should my study plan be? Any help is appreciated. Thanks a ton in advance!

Sincerely,
Dayana Manashirova
 Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Dayana - thanks for the questions. Figured I post a quick response, and others will likely add to it :)

I'd say a 146 to start is actually pretty typical, and indicative of where most people start (even a bit above average for a first test). Based on what you've told me I have two thoughts, both of which are really encouraging actually!: (1) first test scores aren't terribly indicative of much--be it legitimate areas of strength/weakness or potential improvement, or likely final score--so take it more as a learning experience and less as a predictor of what's to come, and (2) I'm really encouraged by where it seems your areas of greatest potential improvement lie. I know that probably sounds a little contradictory to my point (1) above, but what I mean is that people with initial strengths in RC, and difficulties elsewhere, tend to be people with the greatest potential for improvement! Games and LR are usually the places where test takers can make the most headway so your natural abilities suggest you've got an opportunity to make serious gains with the right strategies.

As for a study plan, it would really help to know exactly what materials you have to work with. Let me know what resources are available, and even what your schedule/goals are, and I can probably be more specific about where to go from here.

Thanks again and I (we!) look forward to helping you further as you continue to prepare.

Jon
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hello Dayana,

Welcome to the forum! I just wanted to add my 2c to Jon's reply.

Indeed, I wouldn't put too much stock in your diagnostic score: experience shows that such scores have very little predictive validity. That said, it's encouraging that your best section is RC, because it demonstrates possession of core skills such as critical reasoning and close reading, which are foundational to the test. It's far easier to improve on Games and LR, provided you have a solid study plan, an effective method of approach, and the time to apply that method repeatedly across a wide variety of questions, games, and passages.

Speaking of which, we would love to give you some pointers on what a good study plan should be. To do so, we need to know a bit more about you first. For instance:

(1) What materials do you have at your disposal?
(2) Do you plan on taking a course or would you prefer to study alone?
(3) When would you like to take the test? June? October?
(4) How much time can you devote to test prep?

This will be a lot of work (as you can imagine). However, many of our students are surprised to find that it's also an extremely rewarding, even fun, process. Stick around and you'll see why :-)
 dmanashirova
|
I will be using the LSAT Bible books, Workbooks, and Training Type Trilogy. I will be studying on my own. Since I have another 2 years until I get my BA, I have a while to study. However, the next couple of months will be the easiest since I only have two classes to focus on. Therefore, my best months to study are from May through August. Thanks a ton!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Dayana,

Welcome to the board, and thanks for the extra information! I'm sure Nikki will post some additional thoughts, but in the meantime, my recommendation would be for you to read the three LSAT Bibles during this upcoming summer period. Those books will give you the conceptual and strategic basis you need prior to taking a bunch of tests, and having that initial base will allow you to reinforce and expand it over the next two years. So, I think you should work on reading through those three books first, and then doing various problem sets from the workbooks afterwards to reinforce the ideas (at least as much as you can get through by August, but don't worry about it too much; you need to learn the ideas first, and the practice can come later given how much time you have).

Second, let me reiterate two things that were said your practice test result: first, don't worry about the actual score. The score doesn't matter too much, we just want to see how you did in general on the various sections. Second, your best section was Reading Comprehension, and since that is the hardest section to improve upon (because it's hard to change your actual reading speed), that is a great starting sign. I expect you will be able to increase that score solidly once you are able to put in some serious study time :-D

Thanks, and I look forward to helping you out as you progress towards taking the LSAT!
 moshei24
|
I just want to add in something that Dayana didn't mention about her RC score - she finished that section with about 7 mins remaining. Just to raise your spirits Dayana - most people have trouble finishing that section at all. When I first started studying, I had 5 mins remaining when I got up to the last passage and had to rush through it. When I got to the real test, I still didn't breeze through RC with extra time at the end. I always had to rush a little at the end, so you're in pretty good shape that you finished with 7 extra mins and only got 8 wrong. Imagine how few you'll get wrong when you slow down a little bit?

YOU'RE IN GOOD SHAPE!
 moshei24
|
Another thing: I would like to respectfully disagree with Dave on the idea of getting all three Bibles. From how she scored on the diagnostic, I'd say that she's MUCH stronger in RC than in LR and LG, so I feel that just reading through the LR and LG Bibles would be a better bet right now, not to overload with so much information. It would be better to just wait on the RC Bible until she's a little more up to speed with the other two sections. This way she could have more focused learning with those two sections.

Moshe

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.