LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 netherlands
|
Hi there Powerscore,

I took my first real timed test in class this past week and scored a 151. This was extremely disappointing since I'd done on and off studying for the past two months while working to try and ramp up for the course. I was hoping to be in the 160 area so that I could aim for the 170s.

That said, I really feel that I can improve in the LR and RC via practicing, practicing and practicing. I looked at the first test and realized that many of the ones I missed were because I skipped a bunch that looked intimidating - only to go back and do them untimed and realize I'd probably have gotten them correct.

But logic games are a totally different story. They're the only part of this test that I feel is really, really beating me up, making me doubt my potential for scoring well on this test and are therefore my biggest threat.

A lot of the time I get to the setup and freak out if I don't feel that I immediately see the solution or potential templates. I really need help/advice for how to deal with this because I really want to take the June test, but am worried that the remaining month is not enough time for me to improve - I'm also concerned that maybe I'm not studying the correct way for this section?

Right now I'm making photocopies and doing each one several times ... but for someone who can easily memorize solutions against their own will, this doesn't seem to be the most effective way to me. Are there any online recommended sites/games maybe that just drill and on lg setups?

Is there any advice for someone struggling with these the way that I am? I would appreciate any suggestions, I really don't want the LG to be the one thing that stands between me and the score that I want.

Thank you!
 netherlands
|
Hi there,

Over the past couple of months, (on and off weekend studying because I was working full time) I was reading the bibles and working through them. Basically hoping to soak up and understand the concepts before getting to the class - where I wanted to "understand" so that I could work on performance.

I basically read through the LGBible and worked through the Workbook slowly. Then read the LGBible and via a blog I'd been reading downloaded a list and worked ... looking back probably 10 question types this day, 12 the next day, with intermittent going back to the bible when I was confused and reading blog posts on concepts that confused me.

I've struggled from the beginning with choosing a rigid and strong "structure" of study. Firstly, probably because I've been out of school for a while ( graduated in 2009) meaning the last standardized test I took was like... the SAT. And secondly, I'm really not a "Type A" personality that people always talk about - my studying has always been so contextual and fluid, (reading, writing, soaking up and absorbing information) that I almost feel like I don't completely know what the best "way" to study for this is.

But in a nutshell, that's what I've done thus far. I'm not really sure where to go from here. I just know that I have got to find a way to take on these logic games. Things like - should I me trying to build standard plans of attack for each question game, is that even possible ( I've read in some places that that's a pretty good way to approach them). Most reading I've done from people who struggled and overcame that struggle said they eventually got to a point where it was "mechanistic", second- nature. I want that! :-D

Just not sure how to get there. If it meant looking a every one of the 300 games out there, sorting them and writing solution methods up for myself - I would do it.
 netherlands
|
And yes, this was my first real timed test. Although once or twice I sat in a library and tried to give myself a timed one - the conditions weren't really accurate though.
 Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Let me try to get some more information before answering (bet you didn't think after all that I'd still want more info! :-D )

Are you currently in a course (I think I remember you mentioning in a different post that you are)? And if so how far along are you?

I ask for two reasons: (1) your instructor is often best able to answer these types of questions since he/she is most familiar with your understanding of the test and your specific strengths, needs, situation, so while we can certainly try to help you here we may not be as qualified as someone who's working with you directly, and (2) the "mechanistic" approach you describe is really a function of proper experience/exposure, something that the course will absolutely provide, but in due time. Put simply: assuming it's still fairly early, you have to be patient. If this was the sort of thing that became intuitive in a matter of days or even weeks this would be a VERY different undertaking! So give it time and keep working and I promise this will continue to make more and more sense, and you'll continue to make more and more improvement.
 netherlands
|
Hi there ,

I'm just now going into my second week of the Full Length Course which will end right before the test. So I may be getting ahead of myself.

I think it just worried me that I'd only hit the 50 percentile (and panicked in the practice test) even though I'd already done some self studying.

I'll definitely ask my teacher about it. I think my biggest concern is just wanting to be sure there's nothing further I should be doing other than repeating each game several times to really "get" it.

And thank you, I really appreciate your help!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.