LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 dmanashirova
|
Hey,

So I got the Bible books...The thing is this...should I take the course so that I have someone teach it to me and then use the bibles as a review? And if yes, what PowerScore course should I take?

Thanks,
Dayana
 Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Dayana - thanks for the questions. Certainly I think part of the answer lies with your specific wants (desired score increase) and needs (strengths/weaknesses and overall starting point), as well as things like time constraints, financial considerations, etc. That said, my advice is to definitely take a course so that you have the opportunity to interact with an instructor and really engage with the materials and strategies, and if you truly want to maximize your chances at success make it a full-length or live online course. Those consistently produce the greatest improvements in students' scores, and with the highly competitive nature of law school admissions these days you want to do all that you can to ensure you reach your full potential. At that point you can use the Bibles to reinforce ideas discussed in class, as they'll provide some extended textual discussions of all of the elements that your instructor will cover with you.

I hope that helps and please let me know if you have more questions!

Jon
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I agree with Jon. The Bibles provide an in-depth look at our methodology and are certainly helpful as a starting point. By their very nature, however, books are pedagogically static: you can read about our approach to, say, Assumption questions and understand the Assumption Negation Technique, but you cannot interact with the material in the same way you can in class. Having an instructor by your side is especially important when it comes to identifying and correcting errors in your application of these methods. Additionally, due to the page constraints of each Bible, we could only include so many questions for each LR question type (or game) to illustrate the applicable methodology. You will likely need additional questions to perfect that application and improve your pacing, which can be found in our course books.

A few caveats, however. A full-length course (in class or on-line) requires a significant time commitment, which many prospective students tend to underestimate. Whichever course you take, make sure you have enough time to complete your homework each week, and take practice tests after you cover the basics. If you're planning on taking the October exam, consider a class that begins early and meets about once/week, such as this one: http://shopping.powerscore.com/product_ ... _2013_LSAT

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.