LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 jadaws
|
I've just finished reviewing a practice test that I took yesterday. I think I remember hearing in class that if an answer choice that has the words cause or effect that it is almost always correct. I know that if there is more than one answer choice with cause that it won't be as easy to answer, but two questions that I missed on my practice exam would have been correct if I would have selected the (only) answer choice that had the word causal in it. So, what I'm asking is, is it a guarantee if you select the answer every time that has the word cause, effect or both every time that you see it, or does some thinking have to go along with it? I don't want to tell myself that all I have to do is look for those key words and think that I'm saving myself some time and end up getting a lot of questions wrong on the test.

By the way, the two questions that I'm talking about come from the December 2007 full length test. They are numbers 8 & 13 from section I.
Thank you,
Josh
 tgaffney
|
Well Josh. 8 a weaken question is a causal relationship question so the answer choice would need to use the words cause or effect or both. But 13 is an assumption question where they didn't necessarily have to use the word cause.. if you simply logically negated the question using the assumption negation technique putting a not in front of word cause.. that would have made that answer choice in correct weakening the argument. so i would have to say no.. I've seen plenty of question where the word cause is in the incorrect answer choice when it is the only answer choice that contains cause. look at logical reasoning 2 on the same test. question 9 answer choice b.
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
jadaws wrote:I've just finished reviewing a practice test that I took yesterday. I think I remember hearing in class that if an answer choice that has the words cause or effect that it is almost always correct. I know that if there is more than one answer choice with cause that it won't be as easy to answer, but two questions that I missed on my practice exam would have been correct if I would have selected the (only) answer choice that had the word causal in it. So, what I'm asking is, is it a guarantee if you select the answer every time that has the word cause, effect or both every time that you see it, or does some thinking have to go along with it? I don't want to tell myself that all I have to do is look for those key words and think that I'm saving myself some time and end up getting a lot of questions wrong on the test.

By the way, the two questions that I'm talking about come from the December 2007 full length test. They are numbers 8 & 13 from section I.
Thank you,
Josh

Hey Josh,

Thanks for your question. I think that the part of class you might be referring to is the discussion of logical reasoning flaws. Looking at how correct answers from past tests have described causal flaws, you might note that it is quite difficult to do so without using the words cause, effect, or one of their synonyms.

As for your question about guarantees, the test makers are pretty good at making sure that some thought is always required, so they would avoid such reliable giveaways as "the answer with cause is always right." With that said, when you are dealing with a causal flaw question, and you know that you are dealing with a causal flaw, locating the answer choices that include the terms cause, effect, or their synonyms would be a good place to start.

I hope that's helpful! Please let me know whether this answers your question--thanks!

~Steve

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.