LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 bgdc
|
Hi Everyone!

Let me start off by saying what a wealth of information this forum appears to be- wow!

Secondly, I'm hoping someone can give me a bit of advice as I work through my LSAT prep. I took a diagnostic test "cold" (the free June 2007 from LSAC)- no prep, no reading the Bibles, or anything- about 6 weeks ago. My scaled score was a 158. I forget the number of questions I got right from LG and LR, but they were not my greatest sections. I did not get to the last game, but on the ones I did, I missed just 1 question (the last one on the last game I did), so I feel like my issue here is just making sure I solidify my understanding of the fundamentals and that I do enough practice to master the timing. I got 25/28 on RC and found the only issue in that section to be timing- I ended up having to answer the last 3 a little too quickly for my tastes. LR is by far my weakest section- I need help in both timing and accuracy here so I intend to devote a proportionately higher amount of time to this section.

I've got the three Bibles and since doing the diagnostic, I have worked through roughly half of the LR, and finished the games. I haven't started the RC yet but I don't feel like that's the area that needs most of my attention. My intent has been to finish the Bibles to lay the foundation, then just do a ridiculous amount of practice, because that's what tends to work for me when it comes to these types of tests.

I also have the following LSAT PrepTests that I intend to do generally in order for timed and untimed full-length and section-only practice: 29-38, 52-68 (that's 27 total).

My question is what additional resources would be useful? The PowerScore workbooks? I don't want to spend money on a book that will duplicate a lot of what I already have, but I'm having trouble figuring out whether the workbooks, question type books, or just additional LSAT PrepTests would be most beneficial.

I work full time (well, kind of...furloughed at the moment) and have a job teaching high school kids SAT prep on the side (that's probably why the reading section seems to be the easiest...hmmm). Because of that schedule, it's a little difficult to fit in a prep course of my own (and because of the furlough pay cut, it's a bit cost prohibitive). I've also found that I improve my score the most when I study on my own, with a bit of guidance from helpful folks like y'all when needed, and just lots of test-day-simulating practice. I'm prepping for the October LSAT and can reasonably devote roughly 20 hours (sometimes more, sometimes less) per week to studying.

Could anyone recommend what additional resources would be best, in light of my situation? I'd appreciate any advice, and am excited to have found such a fantastic resource!

Thanks!
 imagineer
|
Hi,
I too am in a similar situation. I work full time at an Investment Bank in manhattan and am prepping for the October LSAT. I have the three bibles and have the "10 New Actual, Official LSAT Preptests" book. I am looking for a lot more practice to improve my overall score and timing. I really like the materials you all have and would like to stick with you throughout the remainder of my test prep. If you could suggest some publications of yours for strictly test prep and useful lsat prep tests which include the reasoning behind the answers, I would really appreciate it. Thank in advance for your help.
Cheers
Raj
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
bgdc wrote:Hi Everyone!

Let me start off by saying what a wealth of information this forum appears to be- wow!

Secondly, I'm hoping someone can give me a bit of advice as I work through my LSAT prep. I took a diagnostic test "cold" (the free June 2007 from LSAC)- no prep, no reading the Bibles, or anything- about 6 weeks ago. My scaled score was a 158. I forget the number of questions I got right from LG and LR, but they were not my greatest sections. I did not get to the last game, but on the ones I did, I missed just 1 question (the last one on the last game I did), so I feel like my issue here is just making sure I solidify my understanding of the fundamentals and that I do enough practice to master the timing. I got 25/28 on RC and found the only issue in that section to be timing- I ended up having to answer the last 3 a little too quickly for my tastes. LR is by far my weakest section- I need help in both timing and accuracy here so I intend to devote a proportionately higher amount of time to this section.

I've got the three Bibles and since doing the diagnostic, I have worked through roughly half of the LR, and finished the games. I haven't started the RC yet but I don't feel like that's the area that needs most of my attention. My intent has been to finish the Bibles to lay the foundation, then just do a ridiculous amount of practice, because that's what tends to work for me when it comes to these types of tests.

I also have the following LSAT PrepTests that I intend to do generally in order for timed and untimed full-length and section-only practice: 29-38, 52-68 (that's 27 total).

My question is what additional resources would be useful? The PowerScore workbooks? I don't want to spend money on a book that will duplicate a lot of what I already have, but I'm having trouble figuring out whether the workbooks, question type books, or just additional LSAT PrepTests would be most beneficial.

I work full time (well, kind of...furloughed at the moment) and have a job teaching high school kids SAT prep on the side (that's probably why the reading section seems to be the easiest...hmmm). Because of that schedule, it's a little difficult to fit in a prep course of my own (and because of the furlough pay cut, it's a bit cost prohibitive). I've also found that I improve my score the most when I study on my own, with a bit of guidance from helpful folks like y'all when needed, and just lots of test-day-simulating practice. I'm prepping for the October LSAT and can reasonably devote roughly 20 hours (sometimes more, sometimes less) per week to studying.

Could anyone recommend what additional resources would be best, in light of my situation? I'd appreciate any advice, and am excited to have found such a fantastic resource!

Thanks!
Hi,

Thanks for your questions, and for your kind words about this forum and our materials. Given that you took your first test cold, I would say that your performance speaks to a natural propensity.

It's great that you got a good number of practice tests, and I would suggest that you start using those right away--there is no reason to wait until you've gone through the entire trilogy before you start to take regular practice tests. Don't put too much emphasis on your scores at first--as you get through your early tests, you will be working not just on conceptual practice, but on your pacing, and your endurance.
Then, when you are reviewing your work, don't just look at the right answer and confirm that it's correct--go back through the question from the beginning, to make sure that you understand the underlying reasoning.

As for additional resources, you have several good options. The LSAT Workbooks you mentioned don't duplicate the material that you already have, they are intended to provide the opportunity to apply your conceptual lessons to practice with drills and analysis.

You also mentioned having a tight schedule, so you might consider some of our online offerings--our Online weekend course (http://www.powerscore.com/lsat/live-online-weekend/), for example, is immediately archived and can be viewed on your schedule, as can our online courses in Advanced Logic Games (http://www.powerscore.com/lsat/advanced-logic-games/)and in Advanced Logical Reasoning (http://www.powerscore.com/lsat/advanced ... reasoning/).

I hope that's helpful! Some of my colleagues might have additional thoughts, and please let me know if there are any other questions about any of our offerings--thanks!

~Steve
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Raj,

I answered your related question over here at: http://forum.powerscore.com/lsat/viewto ... 092#p10092.

BGDC, you may find that helpful too. Thanks!
 bgdc
|
Thank you to both Steve and Dave!

I ordered the workbooks yesterday, as well as the first LR Question Type Training, so they should arrive soon. If I'm still struggling I'll pick up the LR Question Type Training II in a few weeks. Fingers crossed! Getting through all of those, and ideally adding PrepTests 39-51, I should cover all of the official LR questions that have been released, right? I also want a sufficient amount of tests so that I can add in experimental sections for timing/endurance purposes.

Stemming from that, I do have one question regarding the downloads store that's launching next week- will there be PDF versions of the LSAT PrepTests in, say, the 40s? I could order the paper copies and have them shipped, but it's almost as easy to just download and print a PDF.

Thanks again!!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi BGDC,

Those LSATs will be added (eventually, every released LSAT will be posted), but I'm not certain of the exact timeline on the tests in the 40s. I'll take a look at it today and try to give you an idea of how soon it will be.

Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.