LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 rain4LA
|
Should I start taking practice tests before I take a class or read any prep books? Or is it best to do that after?
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I think practice tests can be a great idea early on--to become acquainted with the language of the test and the concepts tested, and with the pacing required, and to start working on your mental endurance. It is important to remember, though, not to be overly critical, or put too much stock in your early scores--most people see significant improvement given some practice and the right approach.
 Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Agreed. I think it's always a good idea to take a timed practice test at the beginning of your prep, since that gives you some insight into both the nature of the LSAT as well as your innate strengths and weaknesses. Don't over-analyze the results (and certainly don't let a low score get you down), but consider your experience as you begin to think about what form of preparation is most appropriate for your particular needs: perhaps private tutoring if you only struggle in a single, specific area, a full-length course if you find you are a long way from your target score and want the most comprehensive instruction possible, etc.

Aside from that I wouldn't try to do too much on your own. I think you run the risk of developing some bad habits (or reinforcing misperceptions about the test) if you go the self-study, sans-resources route.
 rain4LA
|
Thanks guys!

Should I time myself, or just take as much as time as needed? Ftr, I haven't done any prep yet and this would be my first practice test.
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
You might try taking the full test under the standard time constraints, to get used to the pacing, etc., and then go back, off the clock, to give more consideration to the questions that you didn't have a chance to cover in the allotted time.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.