LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 rachue
|
Hi,

I'm in the virtual course but would like to practice with extra problems of all types after I've finished the hw. I want a book with all the explanations in the back (as opposed to just taking prep tests which just have the correct answer and no explanations as to why). I've heard good things about the PS Bibles but I'm not sure if that would be a bad investment as it might be hashing up what I'm already learning in the virtual course. Which books are my best bet? Is there a better PS product suited for me?

Thanks in advance.
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Thanks for the question. You shouldn't need to buy any of the books, but let me explain why.

First, the content in the LSAT Bibles is already infused into our course as the course was the inspiration and starting point for the Bibles. Thus, what you see in the course includes that material, and typically goes beyond it.

Second, you already have every LSAT question available to you in the course. So, buying some of the Training type books is redundant since you have access to that material already. The way the course is structured is that early in the course we present somewhat limited problem sets because our focus is on making sure you understand the concepts in the course. As the course moves along, the problem sets become bigger and bigger (and explanations for all HW questions are online) because we know that once you understand the concepts, the next step is to practice with those ideas by doing tons of questions.

If you are absolutely committed to buying a book, one of the LSATs Deconstructed would probably be best (December 2010, for example). But, if you can tell me where you are in the lesson stream, I can give you more specific advice, because it may be a case where there's a problem set you can jump ahead and work on instead of buying additional material.

Thanks!
 rachue
|
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the quick response. I just started in lesson 4. I was just looking to have more practice problems for LG, LR, and RC, to really hone in on the skills and make sure I understand everything.

Thanks,

Rachael
 Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Rachael - if you're looking for more questions in general, I think you'll find that the later lessons tend to have many more questions/problem sets in the homework than the earlier lessons do. This is because, as Dave mentioned, the focus is more on concepts in the beginning of the course, and more on application of those concepts later in the course.

Also, you'll find some lengthy LR mixed problem sets in the Online Student Center that are great for additional practice.

I agree with Dave about the books, in that you probably don't need anything beyond the course materials, but if you want to see real LSATs broken down question-by-question with the relevant strategies discussed/explained, the Deconstructed books are fantastic.

Hope this helps and let us know if you have any further questions!

JD
 Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
For instance, the L10 HW has a LR Marathon of 100 mixed questions (and there's another marathon of 85 in L12 HW), L11 HW has 60 questions just for Resolve the Paradox and another 70 LR questions focused on stimuli followed by two questions (titled "Double-Trouble"). I wouldn't mess with those yet, but know they're there when you're ready for them.

My point, and Dave's, is that for now I'd be much more concerned about the early conceptual ideas--making sure you're 100% when it comes to identifying question/game types, making inferences and avoiding common traps, diagramming correctly for conditional reasoning and rules in games, finding things like main point and various viewpoints in Reading Comp, etc.--and leave the heavy lifting question-wise for later in the course.
 rachue
|
Thanks guys. I'll slow down a bit then and focus on the current lessons.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.