LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 cionescu
|
Hello,
I am writing because I need some advice on my studying from now until the December LSAT. I took the Powerscore online course starting in June in preparation for the September LSAT, but after taking practice tests and seeing that I was not improving as fast as I wanted, I decided to wait until December and try to conquer all my problem areas rather than getting a score that I would not be satisfied with. When I took my first practice test, about two months ago, I got a 150. Now, about 5 practice tests and a lot of timed sections later, I have only managed to get that up to a 155 (twice). I refuse to believe that this is the highest I could get, as it seems that I get the same types of questions wrong (must be true, flaw, weaken) on every test. What is the most frustrating is that I can usually understand where I went wrong on questions, but for some of these I honestly feel like I would have never gotten it right because I just don't think that way. It is very frustrating and annoying to me that I try so hard to study the problem types but do not actually see the correct flaw, or see how something must be true. I need to get my score up about 10 or so points, which I honestly think I can do -- if I learn how to think right. I guess I am asking, what is the best way to go about studying these frustrating types of problems? Should I just go back and do as many of these as I can from the practice and re-read everything? I am just feeling a bit down, since I have already been studying about three months and I don't think I am doing as well as I should be. I have almost three months to really hone in on this, so any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!
 Ron Gore
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Cionescu,

I hear what you're saying. It seems to me that you have been working diligently. If you haven't yet gotten to the place where you have a solid understanding of how to think about these questions, then I would recommend considering tutoring. Just going through the same material again may not necessarily help you make the jump you need. I would try a few studying hours to see if that live interaction with an instructor, one-on-one, can help you past the plateau you're on.

You may also consider trying to find a study partner. Sometimes the personal interaction can help you see these questions from a new perspective. At very least, try to find someone you can pester and who won't mind you trying to teach them how to do these questions. There's nothing like teaching someone a topic to help you understand it better.

Good luck to you!

Ron

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.