LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 mattm
|
Hello,

I was wondering what are some recommendations on how to build mental stamina for the LSAT? I want to be able to finish the 5th section on exam day just as strongly as the first. I have found that on full length PT's my mental stamina fades but that could be more of a result of not taking too many.

I would be curious if in addition to your insights if you had any links about this?....I have done very well on doing individual timing sections and I am able to keep my focus there, but I find a full length more challenging.....building up that stamina could very well be one of the last pieces of the puzzle to a 165-170 for me on test day. I think stamina is a very underrated part of prep ( since timing is such a key element on the exam, unlike other exams such as undergraduate exams where most people can finish the test with plenty of time remanning)

One of the things I plan on doing in November is taking 2 PT's a week and maybe 3 ( as long as I have enough time to review) before the Dec exam.

Do you think it is overkill when inserting an experimental to print out an entire PT and print out a section from another test to use as an experimental if the goal is to build stamina?......I was thinking if I used the 4 section Prep tests in the LSAC book and printed off an "experimental" I would know in advance which one it is an I would have a psychological advantage that wouldn't help me on Test day since i wouldn't know which is unsecured ( I am self prepping but have access to all the PT's since I took a Kaplan course in the past)

My current plan is to build up from from 4 section PT's , % section PT's , and then 6 ( I have seen online 6 section PT's being sold with the purpose of by adding a 6th section, the actual exam will be slightly less grueling mentally)

Thanks!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Matt,

The two best approaches to building test stamina are the ones you mention:
  • 1. Do more tests.
    2. Do many of them with 5 sections, and then overdrive some of them with 6 sections.
It's kind of like practicing for a half-marathon: you need to do a lot of running, and it also helps to have run farther than a half-marathon occasionally so you know what it feels like and you know you can go past that barrier with power.

I don't think it is overkill to print all this stuff out, and I work with students all the time who do just what you are talking about, so I think you have the right approach.

Is there an issue with knowing which section is experimental? I definitely don't think so. On the real exam, you don't know which sections are real or experimental, but as I explain here (http://www.powerscore.com/lsat/help/experimental.cfm), experimental sections are used on future tests, so they are as "real" as a scored section (especially since they will be used on a future test as a scored section).

When taking a practice test and you encounter an experimental that you know doesn't count, treat it as scored and do your best. Then, after you have taken four different practice exams and used the four sections from that test, total your scores on the "experimentals" and you have—more or less—a fifth practice test result.

If knowing which one isn't part of the test really bothers you, the best approach is to print out several exams, note which test each section is from on the back, and then shuffle the extra section into the exam you are taking. You'll see a double of a particular section (two section "1s," or two section "2s," etc), but you won't know which one of the two "counts."

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 mattm
|
At which point in my prep should I start full length PT regularly in addition to timing sections?

Do you think beginning of November is a good time before Dec LSAT or should I start earlier?

Reading Comp and the Stamina are the two final pieces of the LSAT i need to work on....for example on a PT sometimes I will miss infernos or deductions and miss rules on a game so once I build my endurance , I have a solid shot at a great LSAT on test day

Currently at a -4 or less consistently on LR ( often can get less than that as well, on a best day -3 combined for both)....and the games are pretty solid 2-4 ( silly mistakes I notice right away on review, I have gotten -1 and -2 there more than a few times)

Thanks
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Matt,

I would try to slip one or two full tests in before the end of October, and then ramp it up during November as you've already planned. It never hurts to get a few runs in as early in the process as possible.

your overall scoring position is really solid, and I agree with stamina being a huge factor that's underrated (another underrated factor: test mentality). your mentality seems really strong and confident, so if you work out the stamina aspect, you should be in a great position once the December test rolls around.

Thanks and please let me know if we can help in any other way!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.