LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=1655)

The correct answer choice is (A)

Although creating the setup to this game takes a fair amount of time, Global questions such as this one allow us to make up time. Our setup indicates that only one site—the first—could date from the 8th century, and thus answer choice (A) is correct.

Answer choices (B), (C), (D), and (E): Each of these sites must be from either the 9th or 10th century.
 mriche
|
I'm confused! The rules clearly state that the third site is more recent then the 1st and 4th, which to me indicates that the first can't be 8th century since that would be the most recent...
 mriche
|
OR if the responder is feeling very generous, the could describe the general diagram and inferences for this whole game, as I got all of these questions wrong. I'm no dummy, I swear!
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Each site dates from the 8th, 9th or 10th century (A.D.), meaning the site dating from the 10th century is the most recent one, the one dating from the 9th century is less recent, and so on.

If site visited third dates from a more recent century than does either the site visited first or that visited fourth, that means:

3rd > 1st and 4th

The third site cannot date from the 8th century; by the same logic, neither the first nor the fourth sites can date from the 10th century (which is the most recent one).

Hope this helps.
 dashahow
|
I don’t understand how the answer is not (B) the site visited second if in question 13. The correct answer was (E) which stayed that the second sited visited can be the one discovered by Oliphant, and all sites discovered by them are eighth century sites

Edit - is it because just because a sight was discovered by Oliphant, it is not necessarily an eight century site?
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Dasha,

This is a global question, so it should be clear from your setup's master diagram which answer choice is correct. However, there are a couple of inferences required:

First, the 1st, 2nd, and 4th rules, when combined, rule out all but the 1st and 3rd sites as possibly dating from the 8th century. When the fifth rule is then added to that mix, we see that the 3rd site must be from the 10th century, the 4th site must be from the 9th century, and the only site left that could be from the 8th century is the first site, so answer choice (A) is correct.

Hope this clears things up!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.