LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?f=232&p=88732)

The correct answer choice is (D)

From the third rule, both K and O review T. Answer choice (A) does not contain O, and thus (A) can be eliminated. Answer choice (E) does not contain K, and thus (E) can be eliminated.

Also, as noted during the setup:

J and M must jointly review all 3 plays. Thus, if J reviews a play, M review the other 2 plays. If J does not review a play, then M must review that play. If M reviews a play, then J does not review that play.
Thus, exactly one of J and M must always review O. Answer choices (B) and (C) both fail to include either J or M, and thus both can be eliminated.

Answer choice (D) is thus proven correct by process of elimination.
 deck1134
|
Could you help me figure out why the answer is (D)?
S/O
T T T
J K L M O

Wouldn't J have to be S or O, thus violating the second rule? If K, M, and O are T, doesn't that force either S or U into J and L?

Is (C) wrong because it is incomplete, meaning that M would have to be included in the list as well? Or is there some other reason that I am missing?

I'm so frustrated with this. Help!!
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
We recently received a question from a student wondering if this question could be explained in detail. An instructor will respond below. Thanks!
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Deck,

The real trick to this whole game is understanding the numerical distributions each student/group can have, only one of which has any variability. J, K, and L all must only review one play, and M must review 2, the 2 that J doesn't review. Only O can review all three, but doesn't necessarily do so; as O is untouched by the rules, its numerical distribution is anywhere from 1-3.

First thing to notice about this question is that it is a could be true, not a must be true. So we need to look for variability. Secondly, the setup diagram shows that both K and O must review T, so the correct answer choice will have both of them in it, thus eliminating (A) and (E) right off the bat.

Lastly, we need to realize that J can only review one play, and it must be the one play that M doesn't review (M must review 2 plays). As we only have 3 plays total, either M or J must review T, and thus must be included in the correct answer as well, although we can't have both together. This rules out answer choice (B) as well as (C), leaving us only with the correct answer choice, (D).

Hope this clears things up!
 lowdog
|
Hello ! I'm coming up with both "L" and "M" for this one, even though I understand James' explanation about one of "J" or "M" needing to review "T" due to the numerical distribution, but I'm looking at the language of the question stem, and the word could is perhaps confusing me..., so could it be true that K,L,M and O all review "T" ? I'm getting : J:U, K:T, L:T, M:S,T and O: T, S, U. Help !?!
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
low,

I think the error in your reasoning is a misunderstanding of the question. It's not asking us for a complete and accurate list of people who could review T. Instead, it's asking for one set of people reviewing T that could work. Thus, there may be other lists of people that could work instead, but that's not relevant to the question. If the list in the answer choice works, that's all we need.

In short, compare:

"Which of the following is a complete and accurate list of the students, any of whom could review Tamerlane?"

vs

"Which one of the following could be an accurate and complete list of the students who review Tamerlane?"

The latter is this question; the former is a question type often seen, but not this one! And I think you interpreted the question that way.

Your hypothetical where all but J review T looks good to me.

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.