LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=15947)

The correct answer choice is (C)

From our discussion of the first rule, answer choices (A) and (B) can be eliminated. Answer choice (D) can be eliminated because if T always speaks after both S and U, T could never speak first or second, a violation of the first rule. Answer choice (E) can be eliminated since if T always speaks before R and U, then T would speak first at least twice, but could never speak fifth, which would ultimately cause a violation of the second rule. Thus, answer choice (C) is proven correct by process of elimination. Here is a hypothetical that satisfies all of the rules of the game and the condition in answer choice (C):

• Meeting 1: R  T  U  S  Q
    Meeting 2: S  R  T  U  Q
    Meeting 3: Q  U  R  T  S
    ..... ..... 1  2  3  4  5
Note that Q and S are the only candidates who speak 5th. Since they both speak 1st at some point, the second rule is satisfied.
 RKea25
|
I am confused by the explanation as to why Answer Choice (E) is incorrect. I understand that T would speak first at least twice and that T could never speak fifth, but I do not understand how these two facts coupled together lead to the conclusion that they cause a violation of the first rule.
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey R, I just reviewed that explanation and it should have read the second rule, not the first rule (now changed above). That's why it references the fifth position, but that wasn't clear due to the error!

Please let me know if that change clear it up. Thanks!
 RKea25
|
Excellent - that clears it up completely! Thank you so much!
 may35341
|
Hi,
With regard to answer choice (E), I get that T could never speak fifth but I don't understand why would T speak first at least twice if T always speaks before R and U? I think I'm missing some inferences here. :-? Thank you!
 atierney
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi,

Yes, T would need first twice because R and U have to both be placed in the top two. And so the only way to have T remain ahead of R and U would be to two meetings with T first: TRU in one (with U going at some point behind T and R) and TUR (with R going at some point behind T and U).

Let me know if you have further questions on this.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.