LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

olafimihan.k
|
Hello!

I thought answer choice B would be correct because if the local politics weren't conducted secretively it would somehow encourage resident participation (reversing what happened in the stimulus).

Can someone explain why this is wrong?

Thanks in advance!
 Eric Ockert
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi there!

Thanks for the question. Answer choice (B) may be tempting if you are to read this as a Strengthen question, where you use the answer to support something in the stimulus. However, the question stem here is looking for an answer that is supported by the stimulus. So this means we are now looking for what we can more or less prove from the stimulus.

Answer choice (B) is worded very strongly. We don't really know if the business should be conducted less secretively. There may be many reasons, not mentioned in the stimulus, that could support conducting political business secretively. Contrast that very strong language in (B) with the "at least one" language in answer choice (D). That very soft wording is far easier to prove and, in this case, is proven by the stimulus.

Don't forget to keep an eye on not just what an answer says, but how it says it. In the case of Must Be True questions especially, this can greatly affect the provability of the answer choice.

Hope that helps!
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Olaf,

The issue with (B) is that we have two factors that begin our logical chain:

News Media Rarely Cover Local Politics Thoroughly (NMRCLPT)

and

Local Political Business is Usually Conducted Secretively (LPBUCS)

both Isolate Local Politicians (ILP)

which then leads to

Reducing The Chance That Any Particular Act of Resident Participation Will Elicit a Positive Official Response (RCRPEPR)

which finally serves to

Discourage Resident Participation in Local Politics (DRPLP)

So we end up with two logical strings:

NMRCLPT :arrow: ILP :arrow: RCRPEPR :arrow: DRPLP

and

LPBUCS :arrow: ILP :arrow: RCRPEPR :arrow: DRPLP

(B) would eliminate the second string, and claim that DRPLP would be eliminated. But we would still have that first string, as NMRCLPT :arrow: DRPLP would still exist. (D) works by claiming that DRPLP would be reduced, not necessarily eliminated, if we eliminated NMRCLPT, thus correctly allow for the possibility that
LPBUCS :arrow: DRPLP could still occur.

Hope this clarifies the question!
 Crayola99
|
I understand how answer choice A should be adjusted for “more likely” instead of just likely, however I wanted to check if it could also be eliminated from the perspective of a mistaken reversal?

The stimulus says: isolate local politicians from their electorates --> reduces chance that any particular act of resident participation will elicit a positive official response

Would it be correct to say: Not reducing/increasing the chance that any particular act of resident participation will elicit a positive official response --> make local politicians less isolated from their electorates.

Answer Choice A: If those politicians were less isolated from the electorate --> particular acts of resident participation would be likely to elicit a positive response from local politicians

Thanks!
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Crayola,

The problem with your read is that once you throw in terms like "likely" and "tends to" you aren't looking at pure conditional relationships anymore. It's closer to casual reasoning with the "has the effect" language.

The big issue with answer choice (A), as you note, is the move from comparative likelihood in the stimulus to absolute likelihood in the answer choice. We can't make that jump. For example, it is more likely that I am attacked by a shark if I am in the ocean than if I'm in my house. However, that doesn't make it likely that I'll be attacked by a shark in either location. Similarly, we have no idea how likely it is that the residents would get a positive response.

Hope that helps!
Rachael

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.