LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Question #17: Flaw. The correct answer choice is (B).

The executive argues that the hospital should make the protection of their clients' confidentiality a top priority, because the computer experts said that data breaches represent the most significant threat faced by large institutions, such as hospitals. This is a classic Appeal to Authority flaw: just because the experts warned you about something doesn't mean you should immediately worry about it. The experts could be biased, incompetent, etc. Appeal to Authority is always a logical flaw: if you recognize it as such, this question would be relatively straightforward.

Answer choice (A) is incorrect, because the argument does not commit an error in causal reasoning.

Answer choice (B) is the correct answer choice, as it matches our prephrase above.

Answer choice (C) is incorrect, because the argument does not commit an error in causal reasoning.

Answer choice (D) is attractive, but incorrect. Notice that both the premise and the conclusion are about the same sample group - large institutions such as hospitals and universities. Therefore, there is no hasty Overgeneralization here.

Answer choice (E) is also attractive, but incorrect. There is no Error of Composition here, because the conclusion is not about all institutions: it's about a particular hospital, which is a large institution.
 Mmjd12
|
I can see why (B) is correct but I fell for choice (A) on this one.

I thought it was (A) because the hospital exec says "In light of this testimony, we should make the protection of our clients' confidentiality our highest priority." But had confidentiality been a top priority already, then data leaks wouldn't be as big of a problem? Maybe I overanalyzed this one.
 Luke Haqq
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Mmjd12!

Answer choice (A) states, "The argument confuses the causes of a problem with the appropriate solutions to that problem." Presumably the problem is data leaks, and the solution is protecting client confidentiality. Even if that's right, there's no clear confusion that the hospital executive is making about the problem versus the solution. The executive merely recognizes the problem and recommends a plan of action in light of it (even if it were the case that counterfactually taking that plan of action earlier might have been even better).

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.