LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Brook Miscoski
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Alex,

I am trying to understand your question, because it seems like you are arguing a general point instead of asking anything about Question #21 from the June 2015 test, LR Section 3. It seems to me like Jonathan is trying to help Oakenshield by focusing on the core elements of his question. Jonathan has correctly pointed out that "The more x, the more y" describes a proportional, relationship, and he is not focused on whether the x and y can be reversed since that is not the critical issue for the people who asked the question.

If you have a question about that in the context of this Question #21, please let me know so I can figure out how to best help you here. Thanks! :-D
 ghostpants
|
Hello, I have to admit this question is really throwing me for a loop. The explanation given for answer choice A being incorrect isn't flowing coherently for me at the moment. In my mind it seems that the same logic that is given for ruling out answer choice A, as in type of varieties could potentially only be 2 and everywhere else could be 1, could equally be applied to answer choice E. Two people could be using Mate in Paraguay and only one person in every other South American country. Could you help me better understand why answer choice A is incorrect and why E is a better choice?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I see a few problems with answer A, ghostpants. One is that it tells us nothing about the origin, but only a little bit about the relationship between variety and duration. We don't know which places have a great variety, but maybe a lot of places do? We also don't know how lone maté has been in use anywhere, so no way to know what "a very long time" is relative to these countries. Maybe maté has been used for a very long time and has great variety in Blovia, and in Guatemala, and in Ecuador? Nothing about A helps us to understand where maté began. Even if A is true, it gives us no reason to believe that it originated in Paraguay.

But answer E gives us an important relative relationship. We already know that Paraguay has more variety than any other place and is more widely used than anywhere else. Answer E tells us that those relative relationships have some bearing on how long it has been in use, and the place where it has been used the longest is probably the place where it originated.

The short answer is that A deals with "a very long time," which does nothing to compare one place to another, while E tells us about "longer," which is a relative terms that allows us to compare places. The correct answer needs to help with that comparison.
 ghostpants
|
Thanks Adam, your reply did help me sort this out. I see now that in tying the answers back to the stimulus, with answer choice E, the use of the word "longer" correlates the wider usage with a longer period of time. In a diluted way, this answer choice is saying that as one variable increases, so does the other. With answer choice A, the varieties of mate is not distinctly tied to the variable of time in a way that would allow one to use that information to correlate the varieties of mate to origination in that region.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.