LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

JocelynL
|
Hello,
I didn't catch this conclusion as causal. Is it more common than not whenever we see an explanation to the reason for the conclusion its typically causal? When I first read the conclusion, I took it as the author was just explaining his position, and didn't realize it was a "causal explanation". Are there are any tips for how to correctly identify casual reasoning when there are no obvious indicators present? I just want to avoid missing this causal conclusion in future questions.

Thanks,

(Oct 2013 - Q19)
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
In addition to the causal indicators we list in our books and course materials, such as "responsible for" and "leads to," you can add these concepts that also indicate something causal at work:

bias
motive
incentive

Each of these indicates that someone's thoughts, desires, or beliefs can cause them to behave or think in certain ways. If I claim that Bill tried to sell me something other than what I asked for because he had been given an incentive by the manufacturer to sell that other thing, I am saying that the incentive caused him to try making that sale.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.