LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Bmas123
|
Hi! Is it possible to look at the question flaw as exclusivity? I got from the first sentence that the only effective ad will come from humor. Going in with exclusivity flaw as my prephrase, I thought that A fit the script pretty well. Is this still a valid way of looking at this problem?
 Luke Haqq
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Bmas123!

Yes, exclusivity seems to be an accurate way to describe it.

To break it down more thoroughly, there's conditional reasoning in the stimulus: "For if something is humorous it will not only attract people’s attention, it will hold their attention long enough for a message to be conveyed." This can be diagrammed as:

Humorous :arrow: Attract AND Hold
If something is humorous, then it both attracts and holds attention. There is also the following implicit premise:

Convey :arrow: Hold
In other words, if an advertisement conveys a message, then it must have held people's attention. We're also given an additional premise: "for an advertisement to be effective it must convey its message." This can be diagrammed as conditional reasoning as well:

Effective :arrow: Convey
And we can link these conditional statements in a chain:

Effective :arrow: Convey :arrow: Hold
Answer choice (A) identifies the flaw: the argument "takes for granted that nothing but humor can attract a person’s attention and hold it long enough for a message to be conveyed." It's true based on the information in the stimulus that humor is one way to hold a person's attention, but the conclusion that "Humorous television advertisements are the only effective ones" is stronger than what is warranted from the premises. There might be other types of commercials beyond humorous ones that also hold attention, other routes beyond humor to convey a message and thus be effective. So exclusivity makes sense in describing this flaw.
 lemonade42
|
Hello, I've been trying to understand how (A) is correct and (C) is wrong after reading all the previous comments, can you check to see if my thinking is correct? I also have some questions along the way

Basically I think...
Premise 1: humorous ---> attract attention, hold attention long enough to convey message
Premise 2: effective ad ---> conveys message
Conclusion: effective ad ---> humorous

In order to make the conclusion, (Q1) is the author assuming that "attract attention" is encompassed in "holding attention long enough to convey message" so he just simplifies both into "conveys message" of P2?
Because if yes, that would allow the author to combine P2 with the MR of P1, to get (effective ad ---> conveys message ---> humorous)
which can be shortened to the conclusion ( effective ad ---> humorous)

(A) is correct because it shows the MR that happened to P1. "nothing but" means "only" which is a necessary condition indicator, meaning it made "humor" into a necessary condition. Just because a sufficient condition requires a necessary condition, doesn't mean the necessary condition requires a sufficient condition. Because having the necessary condition could require humor, but it could also require other conditions that lead to attention+holding attention.

Also I'm still unsure why (C) is wrong, because I thought "the necessary condition for an ad being effective" was "conveys message" (from P2). and then it became a sufficient condition in the MR of P1 which was (conveys message ---> humorous). (Q2)So isn't that a flaw, to have used it in the MR? (the other necessary condition of effective ad is humorous in the conclusion. Humorous was used as a sufficient condition in P1, but that wasn't a flaw because that was before the MR happened)
 Dana D
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Lemonade,

Here the author says that a necessary condition for an add to be effective is to convey the ad's message:

Effective ad :arrow: message conveyed

The author also states that humorous ads are the only effective ones, because they convey a message. Now humorous ads might be effective because they convey a message, but theoretically there is no reason other advertisement strategies couldn't also convey a message and be effective as well. If the author told us that humor is the only way to convey a message, then this would make sense, but it does not do this, so it is a mistake to say humorous ads are the only effective ones. That is what answer choice (A) says.

Answer choice (C) would mean the stimulus mistook conveying a message (the necessary condition) as a sufficient condition, and said that because humorous ads convey a message, they are effective advertisements. However, that is not the flaw in this argument. Instead, the flaw is that the author is assuming only one type of advertisement (humorous ones) can meet the necessary condition of conveying a message.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.