LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Flaw in the Reasoning. The correct answer choice is (C)

This stimulus, which discusses a dispute between a farmer and his neighbor regarding pesticide runoff, begins with the farmer’s conclusion, that the neighbor is wrong when she claims that his pesticides are spreading to her farm in runoff water. In essence, the farmer is saying that his pesticides are not spreading to her farm in runoff water.

The farmer attempts to provide some evidence in support of his conclusion, but the facts he offers are irrelevant to his conclusion. First, he says that he uses only organic pesticides, and that there is no evidence that organic pesticides harm either people or domestic animals. However, these facts deal with the potential harm of the pesticide runoff, rather than whether the pesticides are entering the neighbor’s land.

Next, the author says he is careful to avoid spraying on his neighbor’s land. While this fact is closer to the type of evidence that is needed, it still misses the mark. The neighbor has not claimed that the farmer is intentionally spraying on her land. Instead, the issue is whether the pesticides are reaching her farm by means of runoff water.

So, in this Flaw question, your prephrase is that the farmer does not provide any evidence in support of his conclusion. Although the farmer made several statements of fact, none of them were logically relevant to the conclusion.

Answer choice (A): This answer choice is incorrect because it misstates the farmer’s conclusion, which did not deal with the potential harm to people or domestic animals from exposure to organic pesticides.

Answer choice (B): As with choice (A), while the farmer presented a premise consistent with this answer choice, i.e., that he is careful to avoid spraying on his neighbor’s land, the conclusion was not about whether he in fact sprays on her land despite his caution.

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice. This choice is correct because it describes the farmer’s failure to address the neighbor’s concern about runoff water. Though the farmer’s conclusion addresses her concern, he offers no evidence to support that conclusion and instead addresses collateral matters.

Answer choice (D): While it is accurate to say the farmer’s argument does not provide an alternative explanation for the presence of pesticides on the neighbor’s land, there does not appear to be any requirement for the argument to do so. Therefore, this choice, while accurately describing a portion of the stimulus, does not describe a flaw within it.

Answer choice (E): As with choice (D), while it is true that the argument ignored the possibility that pesticides might have dangerous effects other than harming people or domestic animals, that possibility was not relevant to the conclusion. The conclusion was limited to the question of whether the farmer’s pesticides are entering the neighbor’s farm via runoff water. Since it is not a flaw to ignore irrelevant information, this choice does not describe a flaw in the farmer’s reasoning.
 ylikate
|
I didn't choose B b/c I thought the entire stimulus was doing exactly what C said, i.e."addressing the neighbor's claim". Sure, it does not address it adequately, but nevertheless, it is addressing the claim. I chose B instead.

Is there a some fundamental flaw with the way I process stimulus? and why is B incorrect? Thanks
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi ylikate,

So C is correct here because the Farmer is not addressing the neighbor's claim that pesticides are spreading to her farm. He says that his pesticides are organic and that he doesn't spray directly onto her land but neither of these points have anything to do with whether or not the pesticides are truly being carried onto her land in runoff water. That's what they mean by "does not address"--he thinks he is addressing her argument by talking about pesticides but when you really look at what her argument is, nothing he's said does anything to prove that she's wrong.

B is close, he does say that he is careful to avoid spraying on his neighbor's land but we can't say that he presumes that he completely avoids spraying on her land. Again, the neighbor's complaint is about pesticides running onto her land in the water, not that he actually sprays on her land. So when he says that she is wrong, he is saying that she is wrong about the runoff water, not that he never sprays on her land.

Does that make sense?

Kelsey
 ylikate
|
so is it correct to say that B is irrelevant to the neighbor's claim? The Neighbor's claim is runoff water, not spraying. It doesn't matter if the farmer was successful at avoiding spraying the neighbor's land or not.
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
ylikate wrote:so is it correct to say that B is irrelevant to the neighbor's claim? The Neighbor's claim is runoff water, not spraying. It doesn't matter if the farmer was successful at avoiding spraying the neighbor's land or not.
Hello,

Yes, B is close to irrelevant, since there may be many sources of runoff water besides spraying.

David
 TheKingLives
|
Just wanted to say this was my favorite question on the whole test. I read through the farmer's claim a few times and realized "Hey, the farmer didn't even respond to the neighbor's claim!" The farmer has to give a remark as to how pesticide runoff isn't possible, not whether the pesticides are organic/harmless/directly sprayed. I laughed as I chose C and hope more LR questions are like this :-D

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.