LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (C).

This question tests our knowledge of the passage structure. We're being asked to describe the relationship between the 2nd paragraph and the last paragraph. The 2nd paragraph introduces pollen analysis as a potential way to supplement or correct the documentary record regarding the history of the Irish landscape. The final paragraph tells us that there are "limits to the ability of the pollen record to reflect the vegetative history of the landscape" (lines 48-50). So, to prephrase, the 2nd paragraph introduces pollen analysis as a way to supplement historical records about the Irish landscape, and the final paragraph states that there are limits to what can be determined through pollen analysis.

Answer choice (A): The final paragraph does not offer an example supporting the 2nd paragraph. Instead, it offers an example showing that there are limits on the claim made in the 2nd paragraph.

Answer choice (B): The final paragraph is not describing a problem that must be solved before pollen analysis can be considered viable. Rather, the final paragraph is simply stating that pollen analysis cannot work in all scenarios.

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice. This matches our prephrase. The final paragraph qualifies the claim in the 2nd paragraph by identifying the limitations of pollen analysis.

Answer choice (D): The 2nd paragraph does not describe a view against which the author intends to argue. The primary purpose of the passage is advocating for pollen analysis (the view presented in the 2nd paragraph). Furthermore, the final paragraph is not an argument against pollen analysis--it simply identifies the limitations of the method.

Answer choice (E): The final paragraph does not offer procedures to supplement pollen analysis.
 moshei24
|
I think that I knew the answer to this question when I read it - that the last paragraph was adding a new detail to what was said in the second paragraph - that it has a limitation. My issue was that I chose E, because I didn't know what the right term for that was. Is that what qualifying something is? Qualifying is when you add a limitation to a certain claim or series of rules, etc.?

Thank you!

-Moshe
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Moshe,

That's correct--it means to limit or restrict. Keep in mind that there's nothing wrong with eliminating all of the wrong answer choices if you cannot be certain of the right one--since answer choice E deals with supplemental procedures, which are not discussed in the final paragraph, we can eliminate that one with confidence.

I hope that's helpful--let me know. Thanks!

~Steve
 moshei24
|
Yup. Thank you!
 eober
|
Hi,

How does the final paragraph "qualify" the second? Final paragraph describes a limitation but I don't understand how it qualifies.

Thank you for the help!
 BethRibet
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Eober,

Thanks for posting.
You've actually (unknowingly) answered your question -- one of the definitions of the word "qualifies", is to identify the limitations of something. So one someone says, "I should qualify my claim", they're saying, "I am acknowledging the limitation of my claim; what I'm saying applies only this far."

Hope that helps!

Beth

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.