LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Relaxo
|
Hello,

I was struggling between (D) and (E) and solved it the following way, however, I am a bit unsure of the logic.

CIMR: Charity can increases money raised
EC: Emotional connection
IICP: Inability to influence charity policy
AICP: Ability to influence charity policy
RTV: right to vote (on charity policy)

Given: IICP -> less EC
Claim: CIMR
Why: RTV -> CIMR

We know that RTV -> AICP. So in total, summing the given, why, and claim we get:

IICP -> less EC and RTV -> AICP -> CIMR, using the contraposition on the second inference, we can form this to

IICP -> less EC and IICP -> no RTV -> CIMR, and then to

IICP -> less EC and no RTV -> CIMR

(D) We negate (D) and see if it leads to an error. Not D: IICP and no money given to charity from most potential donors. We have to get in total now:

IICP -> less EC and no RTV and IICP and no money given to charity from most potential donors -> Charity money raised stays equal or decreases

But this conclusion is wrong because it could be that some charity donors still donate.

(E) We negate (E): EC doesn't affect amount of money raised, and we get in total:

IICP -> less EC and no RTV and EC doesn't affect amount of money raised -> Charity money raised stays equal or decreases

This conclusion is correct because even if there is less EC, it doesn't affect the money raised, meaning money raised stays equal
 Beth Hayden
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Relaxo,

If diagramming helped you on this question, that's great! However, if you found that all that diagramming slowed you down, know that you can solve this question just by looking for the missing link: how does emotional connection impact the amount of money people donate? The stimulus actually never states this, it just assumes that the degree of emotional connection people feel to a charity directly correlates to the amount of money they give. That certainly makes sense in the real world, but since the stimulus doesn't explicitly state it, the argument is flawed without that assumption.

I hope that helps, but please let me know if there is an aspect of your reasoning that you're still unsure about!

Best,
Beth

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.