LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

tug59567
|
Could someone explain how "E" is the correct answer/break down the answer choices? I eliminated "E" because I didn't see how a lack of uniformity among tape recorders' color indicators would constitute an "inefficient or dangerous" machine. I can see a weak argument being made that this impacts tape recorders' efficiency, but definitely not one for dangers that would arise.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Answer E is an example of a designer NOT making allowances for learned behavior, and the principle requires that they should make those allowances, tug59567. It would be potentially inefficient for the user of that tape recorder if they had to constantly think about which button did what, rather than following their standard learned pattern. But the result of either inefficiency or danger is not a part of the principle itself, but rather the motivation behind the principle. All we need to see in a good answer here is that a designer did not make allowances for learned behavior. Whether it actually makes things inefficient or dangerous is secondary - the rule has been broken.

Also, because the instructions tell us to select the best answer, rather than a perfect answer, there's not much point in arguing with the answer choice in that way. If it is the best answer - better than the other four (all of which DO very clearly follow the principle) - then it must be selected, even if you feel it could have been better. Process of elimination has to be a part of your process, because frequently you will not love the correct answer, but will just hate it less than you hate the others.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.