LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Snomen
|
Hey is there an explanation for question 16? Strengthen question to be precise.

Question stem asks-" Which one of the following principles if established.." So, the question I have for number 16 is: why D is incorrect and C is correct.

Thank you!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Happy to help, Snomen! The question is asking us to defend the position of the manufacturer, so think of it as strengthening their argument. The manufacturer is saying that calling their product fresh is not deceptive and they cannot be faulted for it since there is no clear standard saying they can't. So we need an answer that supports them and makes it okay for them to use that labeling.

Answer D doesn't add anything to their argument, because there are no incompatible standards in this case. A principle about incompatible standards can't do anything to help or hurt an argument about a situation where there are no standards at all!

Answer C helps the argument by giving the manufacturer the freedom to use "fresh" in its less-commonly-used form. If they should be free to do that, then they cannot be faulted for doing so, right? Think of answer C as an additional premise of the argument made by the manufacturer, since that is what any good strengthen answer should be.
 yycstudent
|
Hello,

I narrowed it down to B and C but ended up choosing B. I interpreted that the main reason the manufacturer relied on was the lack of government standards in defining such terms; hence, they could take advantage of the language vagueness. Answer C addresses the language issue, but I was under the impression that this is secondary. B says government standards should always decide the language understand (therefore, because it was not available yet, it is okay to understand certain terms differently)

Can someone please assist me with clearing this up?

Thank you so much!

Michelle
 atierney
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
B is saying that when government standards are implemented, they ought to rely upon common understandings of terms. This is not the issue argued for by the manufacturer. The manufacturer relies upon the fact that government standards have not been implemented, therefore the manufacturer is allowed to exploit the inherent ambiguities in the language given this lack of standardization. The manufacturer doesn't take a stand on what those standards would look like, which B is essentially driving at. Because of this C is the best answer here.

Let me know if you have further questions on this.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.