LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please post your questions below! Thank you!
 nihals23
|
I understand why C is right. I chose ans D because it is mentioned in the passage. Is D wrong because it uses 'too' heavily, which sort of exaggerates the statement in the passage? Thanks
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Nihals,

You're right, what makes (D) incorrect here is that the author's tone towards the funding of biotech researchers being contingent upon patentability of research is a negative or not. From the passage, the author seems perfectly fine with this being the case, so to say that researchers are relying too heavily on said funding isn't just an exaggeration, it's a misrepresentation of what the author seems to believe.

Good catch!
 Lourdiana
|
Good Evening - I am having trouble seeing why C is a stronger answer than B. Is B more of a statement whereas C is an opinion of the author? Unless mistaken, patent litigation seems to be discussed in lines 48 to 51 and it too seems like just a statement.
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Lourdiana,

Answer choice (B) is incorrect because it's not stated in the passage at all. Lines 23-27 and 30-34 are the only places that discuss anything like it, but they don't say fees are typically excessive. Lines 23-27 tell us what may happen, and lines 30-34 talk about the fears of academic researchers. From that, we can't conclude what's typical; also, we don't know that "costly" agreements are necessarily "excessive" anyway.

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.