LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(See the complete passage discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=13369)

The correct answer choice is (C)

The author’s primary purpose in the passage is to note that evidence suggests that exceptional performance comes more likely from intense long term practice than from innate ability, and that as such, motivational factors may be better predictors of exceptional performance than innate ability.

Answer choice (A): The issue with the previous theory—that exceptional performance depends to some degree on innate ability—was not that problematic cases could not be explained. Rather, the issue with the previous theory is that it was based on research with a focus on random samples from the population rather than on extraordinary specimens.

Answer choice (B): The author does not assert that previous evidence supports an opposing theory. The old view, that innate ability had to be part of the explanation for extraordinary human performance, was supported by the research that had been done at the time. The issue was that the research focused on random samples from the population rather than on extraordinary performers in particular.

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice. In this passage the author points out that the old research (the basis of the previous views) had been conducted on random samples from the population, while more recent research focuses on those who have shown themselves to be truly exceptional performers—this is the class of cases to which the previous research is not applicable.

Answer choice (D): The author is not offering a new interpretation of data, but rather providing new data on which to base new conclusions about what is necessary for extraordinary human performance.

Answer choice (E): There are no newly formulated abstract postulations discussed or alluded to in this passage, so this cannot be the right answer to this Must Be True question.
 lday4
|
In C, is the particular class of cases that it refers to the "highly trained superior performers" as compared to the general population referred to in the passage?

Thanks!
 Eric Ockert
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
The new evidence shows that "certain views based on earlier research" (that innate talent must be invoked to explain exceptional talent) are not applicable to this particular class of cases,("the vast majority of exceptional adult performers" who "were not exceptional as children"). This language can be found at the start of Paragraph 3.
 lsatprep1215
|
Hi, I understand why C is the correct answer but I don't see how this is the main purpose of the passage? To me the author's main purpose of the passage is to explain to us that innate ability is not born with it (only extremely rarely) but instead it is with years of practices, desire, interest and motivation to make those people do well in certain field. So I was actually looking for something like that in the answer choice, is there any problem with my prephrase?
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi lsatprep1215!

You've got a good prephrase for the main point of the passage, but author's main purpose questions are usually looking for something a little more abstract. Notice that none of the answer choices refer specifically to human performance or innateness or practice or anything else specific to the passage. Instead, they are all taking an abstract approach. So the next time you prephrase an author's purpose question, just try to think more abstractly--you're basically looking for an answer choice that describes the structure and main point of the passage, but in abstract terms.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey
 CJ12345:
|
hi, powerscore,
I still could not quite be convinced in terms of why B cannot be correct. The "evidence previously taken" could be those that talking about "outstanding musicians are discovered by age 6" "speed of reflexes". The old view thinks these are evidence of inborn talent. However, the new view uses this evidence (and also others) to show that these actually show that motivation (start at age 6) + intensive training (speed of reflexes, etc.) account for the exceptional performance. I felt B is also supported. Could you point out the errors in my reasoning?
 Hanin Abu Amara
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi!

So when looking at paragraph 2, note that the author is using new research as the basis for their argument and not previous research. That helps us eliminate answer choice B.

Hope that makes sense.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.