LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(See the complete passage discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=13649)

The correct answer choice is (D)

This choice requires an understanding of the different motivations that the authors had for referencing the study conducted by Solnick and Hemenway. The first author presented the results of the study in order to support the idea of rivalry as an explanation for the drive to acquire greater relative prosperity. The author of the second passage presents this perspective in order to then refute it.

Answer choice (A): This choice makes two claims and is wrong on both counts. It is the second author, not the first, who presents the study to be argued against, and the second author does not go on to provide additional evidence for the view.

Answer choice (B): This is an Opposite Answer; it is the second author who presents the study to argue against, and the first author who presents it as supporting evidence.

Answer choice (C): The first part of this choice is accurate, as discussed above, but the second is not, as no additional evidence for the view is provided by the second author.

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice. As prephrased above, the first author presents the study as an example of the rivalry phenomenon, to explain why people want to acquire more than their neighbors. The second author presents it as a point of discussion (and goes on to refute it).

Answer choice (E): Many students found this choice appealing, but the first author presents the study as evidence of the rivalry phenomenon; it is not the main topic of the first passage, so this cannot be the right answer choice.
 patrickhine1
|
Hello!

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. I completely see how the pre-phrase aligns with (D). My question is about the answer choice arrangement. Within the PT portal, the answer choices formed a sort-of run on sentence where Author A's perspective ended on one line and Author B's perspective started. On the actual LSAT, when there are questions like this, will the perspectives be split up and not look like run-on sentences? Apologies, if this question is disjointed. I am just look to see if I should prepare for more situations like this. Thanks!
 Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
patrickhine1 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:04 pm Hello!

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. I completely see how the pre-phrase aligns with (D). My question is about the answer choice arrangement. Within the PT portal, the answer choices formed a sort-of run on sentence where Author A's perspective ended on one line and Author B's perspective started. On the actual LSAT, when there are questions like this, will the perspectives be split up and not look like run-on sentences? Apologies, if this question is disjointed. I am just look to see if I should prepare for more situations like this. Thanks!
Hi patrickhine1,

Thank you for the post! What you're referring to is possibly a formatting error (thank you for pointing it out, if so!). I will take a look and send you an email for clarification. :)

Julie Lipscomb
PowerScore Test Preparation
800-545-1750

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.