LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

niki
|
Hi,

These kinds of questions are a little difficult for me. I'm not really sure why the answer is D.
Also, do you have any tips of what to do when faced with a question type asking what the purpose of a certain phrase is.

Thanks
 nicholaspavic
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Niki,

Here we are asked to define a conceptual reference that is sprinkled throughout the passage, but becomes much clearer once the uncertainty concept of "chaos" is introduced to the reader. Note how with the riddled basins of attraction, even general destination becomes impossible to predict. This concept of predicting general destination is then carried over to distinguish it from the uncertainty principle of chaos as it's used in particle physics and the prediction of the path of a particle. In other words with particle physics, "chaos" is something less chaoctic than the study of the riddled basins of attraction issue because at least the general destination of the particle can be predicted whereas the water pathway's general destination cannot be predicted at all. That's real chaos, Niki!

I find that many current students struggle with the issues presented in conceptual reference questions (as distinguished from specific reference and global questions). The first question I would ask is: did you have a notation about chaos using the VIEWSTAMP approach? If you didn't, then you definitely need to start notating those arguments better. If you did and you still struggled even when tracking the specific language of the passage, did you read enough of it to realize the distinction was trying to make? If that's what you were struggling with then you need to slow down and make sure you are comprehending the full, nuanced argument that the author was trying to make in order to successfully answer this Must Be True question.

Thanks for the great question and I hope this helped!
 niki
|
Thanks a lot for the insightful response!
 lsatquestions
|
Hi, I selected the correct answer during the exam, but couldn't figure it our during my review. I was able to eliminate A, B and E. Can you explain why C is incorrect? I thought it aligned with the author's prediction in the last paragraph that many such systems existed. Is C instead saying that a large percentage of a given field exhibits unpredictability?
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
lsatquestions,

A riddled basin of attraction isn't chaotic - it's more unpredictable than chaos. Discussion of chaos, which isn't the type of uncertainty in a riddled basin of attraction, thus can't be invoked to explain what percentage of a riddled basin is unpredictable, as the boundary of a riddled basin of attraction isn't chaotic at all, but uncertain in some other way.

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.