LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

lsatquestions
|
I narrowed the answer choices down to A and C, but I'm not sure why C is preferable over A. The first sentence of the 2nd paragraph states that some zoologists believed okapis were scarce, whereas others believed they stayed out of sight. I see why the word 'many' in answer A would make it a less desirable answer, but we are then told that okapis are not as rare as some zoologists suspected. As for C, I eliminated this answer because while we're told they're infrequency captured and camouflaged at close range, nothing connects the two ideas. Please explain.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
"Many times" is a big problem for answer A, lsatquestions. We know from the passage that "okapis are not as rare as some zoologists suspected," but it would be an overstatement to say the author must agree that their population is "many times larger than zoologists had previously believed it to be."

But there is ample evidence to support answer C, and you'll find it in the opening lines of the third paragraph:
One reason for their seeming scarcity is that their coloration allows okapis to camouflage themselves even at close range. Another is that okapis do not travel in groups or with other large forest mammals, and neither frequent open riverbanks nor forage at the borders of clearings, choosing instead to keep to the forest interior.
This evidence is given in response to the question raised at the beginning of the second paragraph, where the author told us that okapis were thought to be rare because hunters rarely captured them. Put those together and you have all you need to infer that the author would agree with answer C!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.