LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (C).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 mollylynch
|
Can someone explain why C is right?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I see support for that answer in this language from the 2nd paragraph, Molly:
CLS argues that these conflicting values generate equally plausible but opposing answers to any given legal question, and, consequently, that the choice between the conflicting answers must necessarily be arbitrary or irrational.
And also in this, from the 4th paragraph:
A CLS scholar might object that legal cases are unlike games, in that one cannot merely apply the rules without appealing to, and therefore endorsing, external considerations of purpose, policy, and value.
All of this suggests that a CLS scholar would agree that the law does not, by itself, provide answers. Additional considerations must be made when answering a legal question. If the law by itself was sufficient, then the answers would not be arbitrary or irrational, and there would be no need to appeal to any of those external considerations.
 valentina07
|
I chose A incorrectly because I saw that second quote^ (from the 4th paragraph) as support for the answer choice. I can see how C is correct. But, I struggled picking between these two contenders. Both have direct support from the passage.
 Chandler H
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
valentina07 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:35 pm I chose A incorrectly because I saw that second quote^ (from the 4th paragraph) as support for the answer choice. I can see how C is correct. But, I struggled picking between these two contenders. Both have direct support from the passage.
Hi Valentina,

I'm not sure that answer choice (A) is directly supported in the passage. Essentially, it tells us that CLS proponents believe the law "yields definitive solutions." But we are told in the first paragraph that CLS proponents believe that "the existence of conflicting values in the law implies the absence of any uniquely right solution to legal cases." Therefore, we can reasonably conclude that CLS proponents actually don't think the law yields definitive solutions.

Does this make sense?

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.